IGNORED

Not started in 12 years

ToolBoy

I'm in the process of purchasing a Jan 71 Series one car that's been garaged for 12 years. Wondering besides the obvious external hoses, battery and fluids if there are any seals, gaskets or electronic parts that tend to need replacing right away. It's a rust free car that's been garaged in a super dry climate. I'm gonna compression test when I pick up the car and will splash oil on the cam and rockers and manually rotate the crank until I see oil up high before doing the compression test. Current owner claims there was a rebuild 23K miles ago but he has no papertrail. 

Can't go wrong with new spark plug wires, points, and plugs.  You'll want the ignition system to be in good condition.  If you want to get really thorough, add a distributor cap, and new rotor to the mix.  Then, head out on the highway looking for adventure.  Have fun with your "new" Z!

Dennis

Replace oil with cheap stuff

Pull plugs

Put lots of penetrating oil in each cylinder

Wait 4 hours

Oil cam and lobes

Turn crank at snout by hand.

Prime oil system

Replace oil and filter

Replace all rubber fuel lines including bowl to jet.

Clean carbs and ensure proper set up/functioning

Start it

Edited by 240260280