IGNORED

Turbo vs Non-Turbo Camshafts - B vs F

Captain Obvious

So @GGRIII and I are putting motor parts together and he's got two cams... One of them is an "F" grind from an 82 non-turbo car and the other one is a "B" grind from an 82 turbo car. We're trying to figure out which one would be better to use.

According to the interwebs, the lift numbers for both of them are the same and the valve timing specs for the two are as follows:

Format in FSM -  a / b / c / d / e / f
                       - ex duration / intake duration / intake open btc / intake close abc / ex close atc / ex open bbc

"F" (na) - 248 / 240 / 16 / 44 / 10 / 58
"B" (turbo) - 248 / 240 / 12 / 48 / 14 / 54

It appears to me that the only difference between the two is the non-turbo (F) has all the valve timings four degrees advanced when compared to the turbo version?

Seems to me that the turbo cam on sprocket position #2 would be identical to the non-turbo cam? Do the cam experts here concur?

cam specs1.jpg

Edited by Captain Obvious
  • Like 1

Sorry, I might have assumed that they'd be there, separated.  I don't have my FSM files handy, I've been on the road.

My views on the things Nissan was doing in the late 70's and early 80's is that they were mostly about emissions.  California smog was driving most of the development efforts in the automotive world.  I traveled through LA in the early 80's and I seen what the problem was.  LA was in a cloud, not a natural one.