plug gap? - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

plug gap?

Featured Replies

 I am using ngk plugs bpr6es-11 with a gap of .041 and a msd 6al ignition and the blaster 2 coil.  I am just looking for what other members are doing for plug gaps . I have a l28 block with n47 head and 1971 su 4 bolt carbs all stock . I see the 240z runs about .031 on the gap and the 260z runs about .036 on the  gap and now the 280z runs about .044 on the gap . it looks like the fuel injected cars run a higher gap. I like the projected tip plugs the best for these carburetor cars ,and  I am going to  order some new plugs and the ngk bpr6es has a smaller gap than the bpr6es-11 . just looking if I should go with the smaller or the larger gap plugs. thanks

I put ZX dizzy and coil on my '72. Gap is set at .46 from my research.

Well after a quick google they say .42 to .44 for my set up. Maybe they're on .44...

Edited by siteunseen

  • Author

hello siteunseen again, I had my gap set to .050 with my set up and today I changed my plugs to the ngk bpr6es-11 gap that I had laying around .   the ngk factory setting was at .041 and the car ran better with the closer gap. we spoke the other day about my carbs and I finally finished the float setting . I had to have the wife blow in the gas inlet tube as I set the floats to .55 and now my mixture screws are set at 2 -1/2 turns down . I had a slight stumble of line but I corrected that with a slight increase in idle speed by about 40 rpms and the stumble is gone. so know I am just playing with an ignition tune- up . but the car ran better going from the plug gap at .50 down to .041. if I decide to go lower I will order the plugs with out the 11 at the end. just looking to see what others are set at also . thanks for your reply 

30 minutes ago, kully 560 said:

 I am using ngk plugs bpr6es-11 with a gap of .041 and a msd 6al ignition and the blaster 2 coil. 

The MSD 6AL is a "high energy" ignition system.  Your setup looks right, as-is.   The 75-77 280Z's ran a smaller gap than the 78 280Z's because they did not have the high energy system yet.

  • Author

great thanks for the reply Zed Head I will leave well enough alone and just order the ngk plugs with the 11 for the higher gap

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.