Frankenstein

304 Gold Metallic

I am going to be repainting to original color 304 on my 260z. Was curious if anyone has done the same and was happy with the results? If so, what brand of paint did you use?

Edited by Frankenstein

1 hour ago, cgsheen1 said:

P_20180313_130449_vHDR_Auto.jpg

A little different in the shade. My early 260 in front of Peppers late 260...

Do you remember the brand of paint and if they just pulled up the 304 code? Are you happy with the results?

We (my son and I ran Sakura Garage for 10 years) had a Sherwin Williams Automotive outlet near our shop in Tempe. We bought most of our primer, sealer, and base coats from them. They have all the early Datsun codes and match pretty faithfully IMO. Never liked their clearcoat. We used PPG DCU-2021 for the most part. That's the clear on my 260 - my son shot it in 2012 and it's held up well in the Arizona sun.

(My son shot the 304 over dark grey sealer - it added "depth" to the color. Shot over lighter primer or sealer, 304's tone is lighter and a little "washed out")

Edited by cgsheen1

4 minutes ago, cgsheen1 said:

We (my son and I ran Sakura Garage for 10 years) had a Sherwin Williams Automotive outlet near our shop in Tempe. We bought most of our primer, sealer, and base coats from them. They have all the early Datsun codes and match pretty faithfully IMO. Never liked their clearcoat. We used PPG DCU-2021 for the most part. That's the clear on my 260 - My son shot it in 2012 and it's held up well in the Arizona sun.

Thanks for that update! It looks really good. Amazing the difference in the sun and shade. My son will be the one painting mine also. Pretty cool. This is it will fill primer. Still a little ways to go.

D20D4F37-D75D-43A6-BD62-086032EB813C.jpeg

Looking good!

Get the 304 shot over dark grey sealer and you'll be happy with the result.

Mine was originally brown metallic (my youngest son's '76 280Z was 304). He decided to go dark grey on his and I couldn't find a color I liked - so I "stole" his original color (Hey, it was also a stock color offered in '74...). We don't see any Z's that still have 304 around here (most are red or orange). Since we painted mine, I've seen a few that were 304 originally but painted over a different color. 304 stands out...

Yup mine has nice 304 still inside under all the carpet. I do have good compartment panels to get a true match or compare. I can’t wait. Thanks again for information.