IGNORED

Where to support a rusty 240?

Bill Scott

Hi all !!

I've owned different z's over the past 30 yrs and now have a 72 240.  Most of my work has been fairly cosmetic in the past, but over the last few months, I've been working on getting this 240 running and driving consistently/safely.  I've replaced all the fluids, including diff, replaced caliper, drums, brake cyl, clutch master, elect fuel pump and many more!   I'd like to start tackling the suspension and want to put it on jack stands.  My problem is the usual rust spots that concern me when I look to support the car from the original pinch points. 

I will be getting the body done in the next year or so, but really want to replace all the bushings, new strut cartridges, springs etc first so I can drive it.  It's really bad (all orig).

Any advise on where to support from, given the pics I attached? 

MUCH appreciated!!

Bill

P.S.  Sincere apologies for posting on the Help Me!! forum, this is NOT a critical immediate issue.  

IMG_3111.JPG

IMG_3112.JPG

IMG_3113.JPG

IMG_3119.JPG

Edited by Bill Scott
help me forum edit

I use the front crossmember. It has a square plate thing in the middle that I put my floorjack under. Then once it's up I put jack stands where the A arms meet the crossmember. It's a tight squeeze getting the jack and stands in but it works for me.

On the rear I do the same pretty much. Jack under the diff mount I think then stands where the rear A arms meet.

I try to avoid under the rocker panel on mine, it's really soft under there. Best of luck! You've found a deep well of knowledge here. Not me though, I'm pretty new to 240s.

• Like 1

+1 on the front crossmember as recommended by @siteunseen.  There is a box member running across the rear of the car that is also a good place for jack stands - providing you don't have any serious rust issues in the area.  If you have to pull the engine and remove the crossmember, consider bolting in a 4X4 at the crossmember mount points as a substitute.

02.jpg

21.jpg

• Like 2