IGNORED

Too much gasket sealer on head gasket?

Locke

It might help your thought process to realize that the head "gasket" is actually three gaskets in one.  The metal cylinder sealing rings, the copper oil passage sealing rings, and the composite water passage sealing material, that also positions and holds the other two seals together.  Consider each one separately.

8 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I'm needing a head gasket sets for my upcoming projects. What was the Stone number on that gasket set?

The part number via a sticker on the gasket set is A0101-P142H (I assume that's what you mean by Stone number). On MSA where I purchased it, the code is 10-2401

Thanks for the info and recommendations everyone. As soon as the new gasket comes in and I swap it out, I'll take pics of what the head and block mating surfaces look like with all the sealer for the curious.

Edited by Locke
added MSA number

Thanks for the part numbers. I know the head gasket changed a whole bunch of times over the years, and I've heard that the final version of the gasket was actually supplied to Nissan by Stone. And from the pic you posted... Based on all the round holes for the head bolts, that looks like it.

For comparison, here's the head gaskets I recently pulled from two motors.

One is an aftermarket gasket pulled from my 77 - Has "BC380" stamped in it, which I believe is from Payen.
The other is a Nissan genuine gasket pulled from my 83 - Has NISSAN 15A stamped in it.

Here's the two side-by-side:
P1150321.JPG