IGNORED

78 280z Honda wiper upgrade

Usain_Boat

I know that there is plenty of information on the Honda wiper upgrade for 240s but I am having a difficult time figuring out the wiring on my 78 280. I have tried wiring it with and without the "parking" relay and cannot get it to work either way. If anyone has information on how to wire this in I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I have attached an album of the pictures of the wiring harness and wiper motor. Album.

Yeah, that won't work. If someone else doesn't speak up, I will get back to this later. I have family in town right now. 

In the meantime, download the 72 FSM and 78 FSM. Compare the description of the wiper operation in the BE section of each manual. 

• Like 1

Ok, I downloaded the two FSMs, cross-referenced the wires and had it work with and without the parking relay until I went to lengthen the wires to actually install it. I  disconnected them one at a time, added more wire and put it back in the same place. Despite this, after reconnecting three times including straight to the female connector on the car the motor will no longer spin. I also tried the original motor which didn't spin but the linkage was stuck when I bought the car so I'm not sure if it ever worked. Overall, had it working and now it doesn't. No fuses are blown that I can see either.

• 2 years later...

Hey guys, I know I'm late to the party here and it's probably been discussed but I finally got my Honda motor to function properly on my late '78 Z. It does it all!  Intermittent, low, high and parks it correctly when turned off.  I am happy to give complete details but basically it will work without adding any relays or disconnecting anything. I bought the motor from zcardepot and a used connector from ebay. This motor has a 5 pin connector and the Z has a 6 pin.  The Z connector wires change colors at it's connector. These are the colors on the harness side,  not the original motor side.  

H=Honda connector,  Z=factory connector

(H)grn/blk=(Z)blue/rd

(H)blk=(Z)blk

(H)blue/yel=(Z)blue/yel

(H)blue=(Z)yel/blk

(H)blue/wh=(Z)yel

Leave(Z)yel/grn disconnected 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, godzpwr said:

Hey guys, I know I'm late to the party here and it's probably been discussed but I finally got my Honda motor to function properly on my late '78 Z. It does it all!  Intermittent, low, high and parks it correctly when turned off.  I am happy to give complete details but basically it will work without adding any relays or disconnecting anything. I bought the motor from zcardepot and a used connector from ebay. This motor has a 5 pin connector and the Z has a 6 pin.  The Z connector wires change colors at it's connector. These are the colors on the harness side,  not the original motor side.  

H=Honda connector,  Z=factory connector

(H)grn/blk=(Z)blue/rd

(H)blk=(Z)blk

(H)blue/yel=(Z)blue/yel

(H)blue=(Z)yel/blk

(H)blue/wh=(Z)yel

Leave(Z)yel/grn disconnected 

Nice first post.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AK260 said:

To echo Steve, great post! emoji106.png

What motor did you go for? (Year / model number)

This is what he used: https://zcardepot.com/products/wiper-motor-honda-upgrade-240z-260z-280z?_pos=2&_sid=01d6bdf24&_ss=r

@Zs-ondabrainused the 91 Honda Civic motor for the 240Z.

Edited by SteveJ