IGNORED

Rebuilt engine won't "first" start

CaptainMajestic

Update, I re-did the valve lashing and now I have compression, about 130 per cylinder (except 6 around 120).

Here's what the distributor rotor looks like when I'm at TDC: https://photos.app.goo.gl/EFTUHwfnY15yvpQh8

From what I've seen online, it's slightly too far south and should be a tick more in the CW direction. I'm guessing I need to pull the oil pump and tick it back one notch?

IMG_20190405_175824.jpg

IMG_20190405_175906.jpg

1 hour ago, CaptainMajestic said:

From what I've seen online, it's slightly too far south and should be a tick more in the CW direction. I'm guessing I need to pull the oil pump and tick it back one notch?

Actually site might be right.  The small half is on the other side.  Nissan drew bad pictures for the distributor setup.  Here's the setup picture from the FSM.

Are you sure that you're on the compression stroke?  The timing mark matches twice, once on exhaust and once on compression.

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

46 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

You could do the wires 180 and see. 153624 would be 426351?

Some more informed cats could chime in here, PLEASE???

site, his fat side matches the fat side you showed except it's off by about a tooth.

Here's the 280ZX pictures.  They show a rotor for NA and the half moon for turbo.

image.png

57 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Looks like the fat side is 180 off.

Screenshot_20190405-185103_Samsung Internet.jpg

site, it's not clear if this picture is a good setup or bad.

1 hour ago, CaptainMajestic said:

Update, I re-did the valve lashing and now I have compression, about 130 per cylinder (except 6 around 120).

You haven't shown the notch and groove either.  Match up all of the marks and you can't go wrong.  Most people run in to problems when they guess about where things are.

It's why Nissan had somebody draw all of these pictures, even if they are bad.

image.png

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

Just now, Zed Head said:

You haven't shown the notch and groove either.  Match up all of the marks and you can't go wrong.  Most people run in to problems when they guess about where things are.

It's why Nissan had somebody draw all of these pictures, even if they are bad.

image.png

Yup, I double and triple checked it earlier today. Had to rule out beer mistakes

39 minutes ago, CaptainMajestic said:

Update: Moved it a tick in that direction.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1c1ooQshVhN17STt6

?

It seems a bit weird that I have to put the distributor all the way clockwise.

EDIT! - THIS IS WRONG. It's just a tooth off.   I posted mine before I realized you might have it backward.  See my edit way above, about the half moon.

Can't emphasize enough, using all of the marks.  You should have the valve cover off so that you can see the cam lobes.

Edited by Zed Head

Just reread all of my stuff and the only good advice is the notch and groove.  I don't even use the half moon, I use the rotor and #1 plug wire.  Lots of redundancy in the FSM.

Not really sure which way the half moon goes,  There's variation all over the internet and the FSM pictures are bad.

Good luck.

2 hours ago, CaptainMajestic said:

Here's what the distributor rotor looks like when I'm at TDC: https://photos.app.goo.gl/EFTUHwfnY15yvpQh8

IMG_20190405_175906.jpg

Alright, I knew it was in there somewhere.  They used words!!!  Who knew. @CaptainMajestic

You should be good to go.

image.png

image.png

Edited by Zed Head