IGNORED

Engine Rebuild Preparation

cronoz78

14 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I think my $5 volume knob from Radio Shack wired into the coolant sensor wires would do the trick for a bigger cam.  I can flood it out now with it turned all the way clockwise.  I can't remember if it's a 1K pot or a 5K though.

Interesting - but makes sense . Cold engine needs more fuel. 

• Thanks 1

Av8ferg - Yes I would like to keep it EFI.  I drive in various temps. I dont think carbs are a great idea up here.
Siteunseen - Thats a cool little trick. I never thought of that.

It looks like I can get away with increasing the fuel pressure reg. But in reality looks like I need a megasquirt to make this work properly..
Worst case scenario I just do a regular stock rebuild. But until I get this thing out of storage my hands are tied. Its packed away so tight I cant access anything under the hood. Not until a few weeks

The cam specs were:
Stage I

• Intake 26-64
  • Exhaust 64-26
  • Lift 0.475
  • Valve Lash Cold 0.006/0.008
  • Duration 270 deg
  • 0.050 Duration 222 deg

I’m in the same boat as you are. I want to keep the car mostly stock but add a few ponies and have a fresh engine. I’d be happy with 200hp. Let us know when you get this rebuild started so we can follow your progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Av8ferg,

Yes a slight power bump is all it needs.  Too much and more things need to be modified (brakes ect) I'm not getting into that.  I like it how it is.
Once I get this car out and the comp. test ect done then Ill have a better idea of where to go.
I only get 6mths a year with this car so I want to enjoy it as well. 
~Love the smell of that old school interior plastic in the air LOL

10 hours ago, cronoz78 said:

Av8ferg - Yes I would like to keep it EFI.  I drive in various temps. I dont think carbs are a great idea up here.
Siteunseen - Thats a cool little trick. I never thought of that.

It looks like I can get away with increasing the fuel pressure reg. But in reality looks like I need a megasquirt to make this work properly..
Worst case scenario I just do a regular stock rebuild. But until I get this thing out of storage my hands are tied. Its packed away so tight I cant access anything under the hood. Not until a few weeks

The cam specs were:
Stage I

• Intake 26-64
  • Exhaust 64-26
  • Lift 0.475
  • Valve Lash Cold 0.006/0.008
  • Duration 270 deg
  • 0.050 Duration 222 deg

Just do the megasquirt. There’s a vendor on Hybridz that sells a nice package deal that’s about plug and play . Then you can do what you want and have a programmable fun. 

You could buy a wideband and try to get what you can out of the stock EFI , but it will never be as good as updated ECU. 

• 1 month later...

An update to this.
I wanted to enjoy my 3 mths of summer with the Z so I decided to look for a spare motor, and whaddyouknow grannyknot found me one faster than I thought it would take. 
Bonus: The guy lives 5 min from my office where I will keep the motor!
Got a good price and its a F54 block with N42 head. Perfect place to start.
Now its time to find an engine stand and start tearing it apart!

Madkaw: Turns out that megasquirt guy lives nearby.  We met up and I saw what he builds (very nice) Its a good option.

• Like 2