IGNORED

THE RESTORATION OF CAR #304

Rod's Garage

Hey...that's my old dolly #304 is sitting on ?

image.png

I remember buying the rusty thing from a body shop in Sylmar and painting it John Deere green/yellow.  It's was rust prepped and painted using POR 15, so it should hold up well.

It gives me much satisfaction it found a new home with a fellow Z enthusiast!

image.png

image.jpeg

Edited by DatsunZGuy
  • Like 1

@Rod's Garage,  those transmission cases look like they are in a dip cage, do you know what chemical solution was used to bring out that nice finish on the aluminum?

The 69 crank looks like it would spin up quickly but I'm guessing there was some kind of vibration issue that required them to add the extra counter weights?

Thanks

Edited by grannyknot

13 hours ago, grannyknot said:

@Rod's Garage,  those transmission cases look like they are in a dip cage, do you know what chemical solution was used to bring out that nice finish on the aluminum?

The 69 crank looks like it would spin up quickly but I'm guessing there was some kind of vibration issue that required them to add the extra counter weights?

Thanks

That's just a parts washer and actually the parts didn't come out of it much different then they went in.  It took all the oil and grease off but not the red paint or the oxidized finish.  I had to sandblast the cases with a fine sand then wire brush and steel wool them to get that finish.

As I understand it the '69 crank had a vibration at 6000rpm and above.  And I think that's why there is that reinforcement on the early oil pans.  The vibration was possibly cracking the pans.  Not sure, just some stuff I've read. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rod's Garage said:

I had to sandblast the cases with a fine sand then wire brush and steel wool them to get that finish.

Okay, so it was the usual hard work then,  I'm always looking for that miracle product that will take care of aluminum in one step.

Nice to see that repair done properly with a Timesert,  you guys are doing great work.