IGNORED

I've been looking for a project

z8987

9 hours ago, Pmg said:

Freaking ridiculous deal! Congratulations, well bought.

Here it goes again quoting where I don't want quotes. 

I've got spark at the plugs, but no combustion, even when I spray starting fluid in the carbs?  

On 2/6/2019 at 5:09 PM, z8987 said:

It's been sitting covered for 15 years in his garage.  
. I'm also going to spray the atf in the cylinders and let it set for a few days.

This part might have been overlooked.  It's a very nice looking car but it's unclear why it was parked.  Also, after 15 years the cylinders can get pretty dry.  If the ATF just ran to the bottom of the cylinder you might still have six dry bores.  Squirt some some 30 weight in there all over the place, to get the rings to seal.

I remember getting a free 1963 Bonneville if me and my friend could get it started.  We spend half a day leaned over the engine bay when a farmer came by on his tractor.  He said "try squirting some oil in the cylinders".  We did and it fired right up.  This was after getting towed down a country road at 50 mph because we had heard that even automatic transmissions will drive the engine if you go fast enough.  Ridiculous, in retrospect.  ("Retrospect"...who came up with that word?).

11 minutes ago, z8987 said:

Here it goes again quoting where I don't want quotes. 

I've got spark at the plugs, but no combustion, even when I spray starting fluid in the carbs?  

Try pulling a plug and squirting directly in to the cylinder.

But, maybe, be sure that the carbs are opening.  The SU's are an odd carb, with a piston that rises to let air in based on intake vacuum.  The SU guys will know more but I think it's possible that the carbs are stuck shut.  So the starting fluid won't make it through.  Just a guess.

Okay so do you know if you have compression pull the plugs and run a compression check or just put you finger in the plug hole. Could the valves be bent or frozen in place. Compression will tell you. Check the oil in the carb and lift the piston let it drop. Compression spark and fuel is all that needed except the timing could be way off????

72 body and block, everything else 71, Tokico springs, Illumina, R180 CLSD, 83 close ratio, 3.90 gears, Ztherapy SUs, BRE 15X7 Libre wheels and BRE front spoiler.

I'm going to dig into the carbs today.  My fuel tank will be done this week.  I had it boiled, the extra vent ports removed, and it will be lined.  I'll "por 15" it and paint it with vht.  I just had a guy leave here that will be installing a 10K lift.  When sears went out of business these guys bought their lifts. I bought a rotary spoA10 trio from them for $2200.  I was getting quotes for lifts when I came across these guys. Awesome deal. 

15 hours ago, 7tooZ said:

Okay so do you know if you have compression pull the plugs and run a compression check or just put you finger in the plug hole. Could the valves be bent or frozen in place. Compression will tell you. Check the oil in the carb and lift the piston let it drop. Compression spark and fuel is all that needed except the timing could be way off????

Do I need to remove the carb to check the oil? There’s oil in the carb? The piston? Do I need to remove the carb to check the piston? 

72 body and block, everything else 71, Tokico springs, Illumina, R180 CLSD, 83 close ratio, 3.90 gears, Ztherapy SUs, BRE 15X7 Libre wheels and BRE front spoiler.

26 minutes ago, z8987 said:

I really can't do this witout you guys. I'm learning I now know what you mean by the piston, and oil.  I turned it upside down, and guess what there's oil in it.  Not the proper amount now, but there was oil. What type of oil and how much?? ?  

The pistons are black and it took a little work to wiggle them out.   I'll attach a picture.  Can I just clean these up, add oil then try the start sequence again? should the carbs be pulled rebuilt ?   I'd sure like to hear it run before I dig much deeper. 

012c93336509e3169253ecfa45c559a81a2cd70285.jpg

0138606f98165f674560d15bc4e4d0cab24485626e.jpg

I couldn't find any carb stuff in the 70 or 71 FSM's.  But 72 might get you started.  Those are round top SU's I believe.  ZTherapy sells a CD that describes how to make them work too.

https://www.classiczcars.com/files/category/11-240z/

Click the "Spotter's Guide" in this link - 

http://www.ztherapy.com/