IGNORED

Cleaned throttle body now have high RPM

Pomorza

Hi mates

This afternoon I took the throttle body of the Z to get rid of the BCDD - it hasn't worked since I bought the car and I got a block off plate for Christmas. Took everything part and cleaned with engine degreaser, water and then blow dry with air. (I don't have a TPS I use aftermarket EFI so there are no sensors on the TB). I left it out for about an hour to let it dry even more. Put everything back together - I used RTV sealant on the block off plate and have a new gasket between the throttle body and the intake manifold. I noticed the idle screw was in as far as it could - the throttle body was as shut as it could be. Start the car and the damn thing goes to 1700 RPM right away. I've tightened the bolts down as much as I'm wanting to as I don't want to break them. Any ideas?

Thank you
Merry Chrismas
Jan

20 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

If that block off plate was simply a flat plate, then it won't work. It's more complicated than that.

So was it just a flat plate?

It was just a flat piece and I figured it out literally a few minutes after I posted this. There is a tube that runs under the throttle body that allows air from in front of the butterfly into the intake - and this flat piece sadly does not stop this air. Ruined a perfectly good throttle body gasket to figure this out. Would filling this with some good old silicone do the trick (black RTV letting it dry over night) or should I do a more thorough job?

Cheers
Jan

Well if it were me, I would do something more thorough, but that's just the way I roll.

RTV should work fine if you don't want to do something more glamorous. Just fill in the hole, then add a little more, and then squeeze the flat plate back on. Make sure you don't use so much that it oozes up into the intake stream (or wipe out any excess if that does happen).