IGNORED

Carbouratted 3.0 litre?

Alfadog

Hi guys

I'm wondering does anyone know if Nissan ever made a (single) carbie 3.0 litre engine from the factory??? If so, in what car?

Also, is there any way of recognising what kind of diff a diff is just by looking at it (while it is still on the car)?

Thanks for your time!

hehe halz, just you wait...

ZedRally, that's what I thought... but this engine (in a car) the owner insists is a 3.0 litre, and it has a single carb on it....

I guess I'll just have to go and look :)

Any other ideas?

Ask the guy for the engine number. If it follows Nissan nomenclature then a 3.0l straight six should be L30****...?

By the way, what sort of car is it? (Promise I won't tell anyone!)

Ah, OK then, I didn't realise it was already in car. What, which car etc.....

Also you can check the diff if you can get the boths wheels up.

They both should turn in the same direction if it's LS, else if they turn in opposite then it's standard, can't help you with ratio though!

To check ratio's in case you weren't aware, you will need to remove the rear cover which means removing the diff. The ratio is printed inside. On the main gear not sure of it's name :cry: .

That's the only way to know the ratio that I know of.

Thanks guys for your responses.

It's in a 240K Coupe hehe, obviously not stock but will be interesting to find out what it is. Cross your fingers that it is actually a EFI V6 out of a Z31 or something... or even better an RB30DE :D

I'm looking at it hopefully this thursday. Will try to remember to take pics.

It's got surface rust on a few panels, but for the price I think it's worth a look. Might be worth it just for the 5-speed and diff...

The way I guessimate a ratio for an open diff is jack one wheel up, mark the tyre to a point on the guard, then mark the diff tailshaft flange to the diff at 6 o'clock posi. Turn the wheel twice and count how many time the flange turns -3.9 4.1 etc .I love doing this, particularly when I once bought an old car and told it was an open and finding out I had a nismo LSD:D

Alfadog,

In Australia Nissan delivered the RB30 single carb engine for a few years in the Y60 SAFARI or (GQ) Patrol ST30 Petrol in Aus. This engine will match up to the 5 speed from Nissan for the RB and VG series engines for fittment to a Z.

My2c

Steve:classic: