IGNORED

More bits and pieces for plating!

JLPurcell

5 minutes ago, SpeedRoo said:

Glad I'm not the only one doing this, great to see all the hard work. Which pieces are done in clear and which ones gold cad?

Have another batch in the tumbler getting them ready for wire brush. I will sort black, clear and yellow zinc once all parts are ready to go.

What media do you use in the tumbler to clean them. I put mine through the ultrasonic. Anything rusty gets soaked in evaporust and ultrasonically cleaned for an hour or until rust free. I then hit them with the wire brush. Did my Astons and Lotus bits the same way before cad plating.

IMG_0323.JPG

IMG_20150309_133623609.jpg

Edited by SpeedRoo
  • Like 1

Great detailed photos. I have some questions to ask:

JLPurcell - some pieces are tied together with wires. Is this for grouping them together avoiding sorting later or getting lost?

Jfa.series1 - did you do anything with the side light housing socket spring assembly connected with wire? I worked on this piece recently and the spring connection assembly are pre-sealed.
Parts with nylon pieces are okay to leave during plating?

1 hour ago, SpeedRoo said:

Glad I'm not the only one doing this, great to see all the hard work. Which pieces are done in clear and which ones gold cad?

Everything in the first two pics will be yellow zinc - not cad.  The second two pics will get clear zinc.

1 hour ago, JLPurcell said:

I see some bits of interest!?

What... you don't have enough bits already??? LOL

1 hour ago, 240Ziggy said:

Jfa.series1 - did you do anything with the side light housing socket spring assembly connected with wire? I worked on this piece recently and the spring connection assembly are pre-sealed.

I'm experimenting with rebuilding the sidemarker electrical fittings so no final verdict yet.  The nylon items sometimes come back with a white crust that can be scraped clean - there's really no option with parts that are mfg. this way.

• Like 1

I prefer the corrosion resistance of CAD plating so will do all my 240Z pieces that way. Hubs, brakes, suspension, driveshafts will all get it as well as the heap of other bits that seem to pile up once unbolted from the car. Underside of the car is getting full epoxy treatment over the bare metal to keep the tin cancer at bay!

IMG_20181112_151841861.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 240Ziggy said:

Great detailed photos. I have some questions to ask:

JLPurcell - some pieces are tied together with wires. Is this for grouping them together avoiding sorting later or getting lost?

Smalls are daisy chained together, with conductive wire, as to not loose any parts during the plating process. 

27 minutes ago, SpeedRoo said:

I prefer the corrosion resistance of CAD plating so will do all my 240Z pieces that way. Hubs, brakes, suspension, driveshafts will all get it as well as the heap of other bits that seem to pile up once unbolted from the car. Underside of the car is getting full epoxy treatment over the bare metal to keep the tin cancer at bay!

IMG_20181112_151841861.jpg

I originally wanted to cadmium plate my parts, but it is very expensive, due to the toxic properties. I was told that it is used almost exclusive on  aircraft parts today. Definitely more corrosion resistant than the original zinc plating.  

43 minutes ago, jfa.series1 said:

Everything in the first two pics will be yellow zinc - not cad.  The second two pics will get clear zinc.

What... you don't have enough bits already??? LOL

I'm experimenting with rebuilding the sidemarker electrical fittings so no final verdict yet.  The nylon items sometimes come back with a white crust that can be scraped clean - there's really no option with parts that are mfg. this way.

Never enough bits! Jim, you already knew that though!!?