IGNORED

Cam Identification

chiefmd

1977 280Z that I picked up this past summer. The PO had a cam installed by Eddie Radatz of e.radatz motorsports in Georgia. I called him and he remembered the car and what work he had done but didn't have anything on the cam specs. Just wondering if anyone can help to identify the cam. Thanks

IMG_1449.JPG

IMG_1450.JPG

IMG_1451.JPG

IMG_1448.JPG

I don't have an answer for you but I can't help but wonder if your cam came from the same grinder as Jeff Berk. Wednesday he started a thread titled "valve adjustment with "racing" cam". The paperwork that came with the car has a cam tag from Chambers Cams. R.C. Automotive, Alexandria Virginia.

• Like 1

Mark - I did read Jeff's post and it was what made me decide to look into the cam in my car. I think I''ll contact RC and send them the pictures to see if it was a cam that they might have fabricated. Thank you for pointing me into a  direction which will hopefully have a positive outcome.

• Like 1

I contacted RC Automotive machine shop (301-350-8408) this morning and spoke to Roy. He verified that the cam was one that he had ground. They are still in business but they do not do new cams, he will regrind existing cams, but stated that he cannot compete with new grinds do to the low cost of the imports.  Mark , just want to say thanks for  your help.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2018 at 12:29 PM, Mark Maras said:

I don't have an answer for you but I can't help but wonder if your cam came from the same grinder as Jeff Berk. Wednesday he started a thread titled "valve adjustment with "racing" cam". The paperwork that came with the car has a cam tag from Chambers Cams. R.C. Automotive, Alexandria Virginia.

Well done!  We should have some sort of Sherlock Holmes award.   I tried the Google but it just took me to a motorcycle race shop.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zed Head said:

Well done!  We should have some sort of Sherlock Holmes award.   I tried the Google but it just took me to a motorcycle race shop.

Interesting. Google or Google Chrome? I used Chrome. Oh, I remember. I got the same motorcycle business the first time, then I added Alexandria, Va. to the search. I found a USA.com website linked to RC's name and went to an EPA profile on that site to confirm the business is still around. Found the current address for RC Automotive was the same as the one on the cam tag. Then went to Google Maps to take a look at the place. A piece of cake.

• Like 1

Mark - I too Googled RC Automotive and went to Google maps https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&client=firefox-b-1&q=rc+automotive++ALEXANDRIA+VA&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=38846955,-76900636,4853&tbm=lcl&ved=2ahUKEwi-6aH7yvPeAhWDylkKHbvBDUoQtgN6BAgAEAQ&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e2!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:2&rldoc=1#rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:!1m2!1d38.872400899999995!2d-76.8469954!2m2!1d38.821509299999995!2d-76.9542771;tbs:lrf:!2m1!1e2!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:2 and it showed a RC Automotive machine shop located NE of RC Automotive, turned out to be the one. He can supply the data on the cam as long as I can give him number that they etch onto the end of the cam. The numbers that I was able to get off the rear are not what he was looking for. He stated that they sometimes etched the number on the front of the cam (it is a arse #). He believes that it is most likely a "Super BL1" which he said was a mild street cam and the one he most commonly ground. Again, thank for helping out.

Edited by chiefmd
  • Like 2