IGNORED

engine mount differences

khughes

Hi Guys,

I have a HS30 (RHD) early Numbered 70's 240Z.

I bought an awesome Z-story exhaust system including sports extractors. Unfortunately when i went to fit the extractors they hit up against the left hand side floor well, and also the end threads of the tension control rods. Z story have stated that they should fit, and i believe them.

As far as i know the car is pretty original, but i do know that the car was once "restored" (badly).. before i go trying to get the exhaust modified to clear.. i was just wondering if there is anyway that my engine mounts are incorrect, or if there is any difference between the year models? I only ask because the top of the engine is also very very close to hitting my Cusco strut brace (to the point where the ignition leads can not fit between the rocker cover and the brace).

i would prefer to replace the mounts than modify the exhaust.. there is certainly no way i am going to bash the crap out of the floorwell :)any other suggestions would also be greatly appreciated

20171021_144358 (Medium).jpg

20171021_144406 (Medium).jpg

20171021_135850 (Medium).jpg

20171125_171419 (Medium).jpg

What is the condition of the transmission mount? Is it the correct mount for transmission that is in the car? Are either of the front motor mounts broken?

I recently changed out the Zstory sport header for the race header because of how near it came to the the rear SU. I have this same exact issue with the same header you have. I have new motor mounts and trans mount.

I can’t come up with a solution short of modifying the floor clearance. Thinking about abandoning the header for a ceramic coated stock exhaust manifold and a ceramic coated custom 2 1/2 down pipe matched to the rest of the Zstory exhaust. Hope to test next week and cut to fit the V clamp to weld on.

I’ll be curious to see what you come up with

72 body with 71 interior, Eibach, Illumina, R180 CLSD, 83 close ratio, 3.90 gears, Zstory, SUs, BRE Libre wheels and front spoiler.

I hear you. The reason I am debating abandoning the header is I have the full system and want to use it if possible. Had it been the connector pipe I may have tried to get it to fit.
My old system was a ceramic stock exhaust manifold with stock down pipe adapted to 2 1/2 pipe with a resonator and a magnaflow muffler.
Running the Zstory header and exhaust made no improvement in actual horsepower on two dyno runs. Keep me updated on your progress

72 body with 71 interior, Eibach, Illumina, R180 CLSD, 83 close ratio, 3.90 gears, Zstory, SUs, BRE Libre wheels and front spoiler.

I did patcon, it was unclear if the early cars where somehow different, my car is also RHD.. so more potential issues..

I give Sean the benefit of the doubt as there is no way he would be able to test every year and chassis. It would be simple to modify the footwell, but I want to keep the floorpan original (for now.. will probably strengthen frame rails later).

7tooZ, to be honest I didn't expect much of a performance gain from the std 2.4 I have (with Weber's).. I had a rusting performance exhaust already, but the sound wasn't great.. I am sure it will be great once it's fitted (the sound from the videos I have seen look awesome)

• Like 1

There was no actual contact, but it is very close. I am concerned that it may torque over and make contact under full load.
Honestly I wasn’t expecting much if any performance improvement.
Basically I reached the point of frustration and really don’t want the hack up my car just for a header.
Sounds like you have triple side drafts. If so you may want to look at the “Sport” header. I originally installed one along with the full system with no clearance issues except for the proximity to the rear SU.

When I get back to Seattle next week I am going to mount the stock manifold and connect it to the rest of the system for a test drive.