IGNORED

Rear hatch alignment issue

HSL

I'm trying to align the rear hatch after paint but it seems to be sitting too far in the aft direction. I'm using the tailgate hinge seal cover from Motorsport auto ( http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic02o03b03/34-2236) and with that installed it is impossibe to get it to sit correct. Anyone else had this issue? Tried to remove the cover and then it sits better, of course....

Tough one to fix. Hatch alignment is a real bear.

You can place a shim between the fixed threaded hatch mount plate and hinge, where the pair of flat headed philips bolts connect the hatch to the hinge. Make it out of shim stock or brass sheet.  This will move the hatch toward the front of the car. Real fun to install. Use some crazy glue to hold the shim in place on the hatch plate while you get the bolts lined up while holding the hatch with your other three hands. Or use slotted shims that you stuff in AFTER you get the bolts in but not tight yet.

Edited by zKars
  • Like 1

Have thought about that solution and guess that is the only option I have. According to the FSM, shims can be placed between the body and the hinge to align the hatch but it does not mention any other way of adjusting the hatch..?

Not many Harbor freight in Norway so guess I will have to make my own..

1 hour ago, HSL said:

Have thought about that solution and guess that is the only option I have. According to the FSM, shims can be placed between the body and the hinge to align the hatch but it does not mention any other way of adjusting the hatch..?

Not many Harbor freight in Norway so guess I will have to make my own..

Sorry wasn't paying that close of attention today