IGNORED

240/280 Door window glass frame differences

zKars

I'm confused (again) and need a bit of help.

Does anyone have a window (either side) door glass out that they can post a picture of?  

I need absolute confirmation of what year that glass came from. The two guide tracks on the window frame are unique between the early and late glass, and I can't for the life of me remember which is which.  

I need a picture of the side of the glass mounting frame that has the two short guide tracks where the regulator wheels ride. Either a early 240 or 76 or later 280 is best. Don't bother if its the later 77-78 glass, it's so unique I know what it looks like. 

Tanks!

I am pretty sure that there are pictures of 1976 windows in a Technical Article written by Escanlon.  Not sure of spelling and didn't look for it, but I remember it from the past.  It's in the Downloads area somewhere.

I think it's this one.  The Resources page is all wacked out, I can't figure out what's what.  I used Google to find the original page, with its own broken links.

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/41403-article-s30-door-window-problems-and-troubleshooting-procedures/

https://www.classiczcars.com/files/file/57-enriques-s20-door-window-problems-troubleshooting/?do=download&csrfKey=ac8102f4e253cc3512ec9e84a85d68e9

Apparently it's 1972, not 76.  Snipped a picture.

Here's my original Google search page.  The links above didn't come in as links, apparently.  Maybe this will.

Forget it, just put this in Google - site:classiczcars.com escanlon windows

image.png

Excellent, thank you.

I will post some pics of the differences in the guide tracks for later reference. I'm pretty sure I knew which was which, but I think I have confirmation now. I'll wait for Steve to get his 73 pics taken to be sure.

I want to start a new topic group called something like "One of these things is not like the other" and then post definitive pictures of various items (like windows, regulators and doors) across all of the years for later reference. Then I won't have to ask silly questions anymore. Or at least less often ;)

• Like 1

Ok, here are two side by side. 

First thing to note, the most useful I think, is that the GLASS is IDENTICAL on the 240 and 280 windows, at least up to 77-78 which are NOT interchangable.  If you break yours, you can get a glass from any year 70-76 and just swap it on your frame. The metal frame the glass is attached to is definitely NOT identical. Very similar yes, easy to confuse, yes. 

Here is the difference. Both C-channels that hold and guide two of the regulator rollers are different in length and relative position on the backing plate. 

I lined up the two frames front and back, then took pictures of the two sets of C-channels. The underneath one is the 280 frame. 240 on top (no glass in the frame)

Here is the rear channels. They are about the same length, but offset ~ 0.75".  Note that the regulator wheel could be inserted at either end of either channel.

IMG_3063.JPG

here is the front one. The 280 (bottom) is farther back and shorter.  Note that the regulator wheel could be inserted on both ends of the 280 only. The top 240 channel is too close at the front to the stamped indentation to allow the wheel in. To me this is the "best and fastest" way to tell them apart if they aren't together. If there is no access for the wheel one the front channel, it's for 240.

IMG_3064.JPG

Clearly they "improved" the window mechanism for the 280s (up to 76 in NAM). The door where the regulator attaches is stamped differently (outy vs inny stamping), the regulator is also different to match the door stamping change.  the outer stainless guide channel that surrounds and seats the window is also different in how and where it mounts. Again, similar but different. All fodder for another thread. 

I will say that while you "could' use either window frame in either car, you will find that in at least one combination, when you wind the window down all the way, it will fall off one the tracks. Not fun. 

75-76 280 door. Note the "outy" area around the regulator crank spline area. 

IMG_3045.JPG

240 door. Not the indented "inny" area around the regulator crank spline area.

Also notice the welded in area around the door release area that is open and a separate piece on the above 280 door (not there in the picture...).

IMG_3046.JPG

Othe than the speaker hole, how many differences do you see? I see at least 5 uniquenesses. 

Edited by zKars