IGNORED

Need pics..(Axle Stand)

24OZ

Hi all,

has anyone got a picture of where the correct position is to place axle stands at the REAR of a Z?

I couldnt find a good safe place to put them so I ended up reversing the rear of the car onto ramps, works fine... but now that I need to adjust the handbrake I need the wheels to be free moving so i'll have to revert to axle stands.

Thanks

This is the safest place to put jackstands on the rear. This section of the frame very seldom rusts out so you can be quite sure it is strong enough to hold the car. The biggest benefit is that the jackstands are out of the way if you want to pull the control arms or any part of the rear suspension.

post-1499-14150792652975_thumb.jpg

Thank you Keith, I was hoping you'd reply with a great pic and you did :)..

Trying to look at the black and white picture of the correct positon to place axle stands in the Haynes manual is like trying to look at fish in a muddy pool of water..

Thanks again :)

Yup, there is were I put the jack stands too!

Just wanted to add that when you jack up the rear it is best to put the jack under the front diff mount, which is actually removed in Keith's picture. If you jack the rear of the car up by the diff you are likely to damage the rubber insulator that is between the diff and the diff mount.

Wow, it took me a minute to figure out what angle you took those pictures were at. Been a while since I have seen the Z from underneath with no rear suspension! (I guess that's a good thing!)

Hope it makes sense! Have fun!

ROFL

Sorry to get you lost Royce.... I was laying on the creeper when I took them... If I could get it a little higher I could almost sit up under it, but then I'd have to take the light down off the ceiling to give me room to go much higher.

Got the tallest set of jackstands I could find and they are sitting on about 12 inches of cement blocks....:cross-eye Floor pan is 32 inches off the floor of the garage, call it a poor mans lift...:stupid:

Hmmm, you sure that was a Z?ROFLLOL

Maybe it was a figment of your Margarita's imagination?

That was the 71 I've been working on slowly....and yes, those are the original floor pans and rails too...:cheeky:

Only thing on the underside are a couple of vent hoses that I haven't bothered taking out yet and the speedo cable hanging from the firewall.....

This reminds me,

What kind of floor jacks do you guys have? I bought a medium sized one at sears not too long ago, and the release valve goes into effect in a very abrupt fashion when it is under load, I am afraid I will lower the car too fast and damage something! So far all I have done is raise and lower it onto big wooden blocks under the wheels, and that did not take the amount of precision I am sure mounting jackstands need.

Also, when the car is up on jackstands, how stable is it? It looks like (especially when they are up so high as yours 2ManyZs) that it would be prone to falling over under some medium lateral force.

I haven't bought any jackstands yet, but I probably need to before too long. I have seen them with a variety of different shaped tops, what do you guys recommend for the best hold and least damage?

Thanks

Andrew

I'm impressed with the axle stands you guys have, mine don't nearly look as sophisticated. Here's what mine look like. No digi camera, shot courtesy of a UK ebay auction.

i-1.JPG

(these are hanging on a wall, not levetating!;))

There is a pin, so as to adjust the height of them, nothing like a crank that I noticed on drunkenmaster's pictures.)