IGNORED

Weld through primer questions

Elliott000

Hey guys I'm getting ready to start in on patching up my 240, im new to the tunes bashing scene and don't know alot about weld through primers. Is this something I basically want to use on any and all sheet metal in which I won't be able to treat later on or for any welds wherr it's a spot weld style repair or fixing small pours holes with a patch piece?

What are some good brands and are there any tricks aside from the usual prep pre painting.

Thanks in advance.

Also, what is a general good primer or sealer to use when i open a channel up like the rockers or the upper air horn frame part and need to cost the inside before sealing it up.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Don't use weld-through primer. The welds often don't penetrate. I talked to my friend who does $100k restorations and sprays epoxy primer and then cleans the area with a dremel with a wire wheel where the weld goes. I recently tried weld-through primer when installing my AAR trunk. At times it was like welding to copper. Don't waste your time and money on it.

You can use a good PPG epoxy or something like that. Another option is POR15, etc.

Chuck

Good to know. I had similar ideas to just priming and welding then priming over the seam. Just had concerns about moisture from the back over the yrs in the spot where I'd have ground off to weld.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Weld thro’ afaik is really for spot weld and not Mig. Its works well if not applied to thickly for spots. Welding Mig on it creates loads of spatter and gives a poor weld. However it does give a zinc rich well protected joint seam if u just scrub it off the areas u are welding, it’s very resistant heat / burning off unlike POR which lifts and sets on fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk