FOUND A LATE 71 240Z - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

FOUND A LATE 71 240Z

Featured Replies

This 240z was setting in a field for about 7 years {with the windows down}next to my brother in laws. The first time I looked at car I saw the floors rusted out and that the sway bar had been ripped from the frame and offer the owner $500. He said no way but about 6 months later he asked my in law if I would still buy car. So for $500 I purchased a 240Z

With car in my home pulled fenders off looking for more rust. Other then the floors no rust in car. But noticed where the emblems where the holes had been welded. All the emblems on car had been removed. Also a 5 speed transmission installed. Schell seats where installed.

I order Mad Dog frame rails,sway bar stiffens and floors and off to a fab shop with the Z

I pulled the valve cover to inspect the camshaft and lash pads for wear. None. But it has a spray bar and oil holes in camshaft and aluminum retainers on valve springs. Also on the side of cylinder head is a stamp, Slovers porting SV. I pulled cylinder head  and measured Valves

Make this short it has 280 valves, piston and crankshaft. Its been balanced etc.Yes it is the L24 that came in the car

 

 

 

1228171342.jpg

IMG_20170225_150938441.jpg

IMG_20170225_151001494.jpg

Edited by billgtp
add pictures

Slovers was a well known shop for L engine head work, as I understand it.  Sounds like a good find.  Better make sure it's not high compression ratio, or at least know what the CR is.  Might be a race engine, needing high octane fuel.

Good buy! The carbs are worth $300. Look  above and between the 1st & 2nd spark plugs from the front and you should see a flat with the head code, E31, E88, N42, N47 or possibly P90.

$500 is what they scrap for. You did good.

  • Author

Cylinder head is a e88.

That looks like a solid find, what kind of 5spd gearbox? Was the interior trashed from weathering? I found rust under the seats in one of my cars from the driver window being open for years.


Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

It appears 5spd trans is from a 77 or 78 280.The passenger floor was rusted though so I had both floors replaced.

The drug addict I purchased car from could give me no info on car other then it was given to him by a lady that he did yard clean up for.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.