IGNORED

Idle setting for AT - stalling in drive

Stanley

New stage II L28 in my 240Z with automatic trans. Got new mechanical fuel pump installed yesterday and took a test drive / grocery run. Trying to put some break-in miles on it. AF ratio looks good, per builder's spec., not smoking or lean while driving. Runs good except stopped in drive. Starts cold easily with some choke. Problem is in gear (Drive) with the car stopped at a stop sign or in traffic. It tends to stall. I cranked up the idle, it's supposed to have higher idle due to the cam. I set the idle up even higher, 1500 rpm in neutral or park, so it would keep running when stopped in drive, but there was some run-on when I shut off the engine. I figure the run-on is due to the high idle since it didn't do it previously. Run-on could damage the new engine so I'm going to dial back the idle until there's no run-on. Still need a solution, if possible. I could give it some gas, and push on the brakes, or shift into neutral, but I hope there's a better solution.

What about giving it some more timing ? would that help. Anything else to try ?  Mods to the AT might be the fix for some other cars, not available for the stock AT as far as I know.

Also, for a better long-term solution, I wonder using a Crane Hi-6 would help. I was planning that eventually. Maybe the hotter multiple spark would help the cammy engine run at low rpm. Also, read a little about the 123 distributor. Maybe running more advance at idle would be the fix. I'm guessing here, though.

I've got bigger problems now. Somebody smashed into my car. I was driving in the right turn lane. Traffic in the left and middle lanes was stopped.  She was coming down the other side of the street and made a left turn between the stopped cars.  Smashed into my driver side door. She started lying immediately, saying she was stopped and I hit her. She looked at my smashed in door and said she didn't see any damage. Then she said she didn't do that, "it was like that". I called the cops because I thought she was going to take off. Can't open the door or close the window. Have to get in the passenger side. Damn, damn, damn.

Before the drive I dialed down the idle a couple hundred rpm. It seemed better, or maybe I'm getting used to shifting into neutral at a stop. Not running-on anymore. Was enjoying the drive until the wreck. Love the low-end torque. Not broke-in enough to try upper mid-range.

Third bozo that that hit my Datsun. First one that lied.

Edited by Stanley
  • Sad 1

Seconded. That really sucks.

So did the cops show up and saddle her with responsibility for the accident in the form of a ticket. Failing to yield the right of way? Failing to follow traffic control markings? Something like that? That will help a lot when her insurance company cold shoulders you after she tells them it was your fault.

The cop showed up but didn't give her a ticket, said he couldn't tell who was at fault since he didn't see it, and we'd already moved the cars. Which is correct. Wish I'd taken a photo before we moved the cars. I did get some photos though. When she said she didn't do the damage I hit the video button, haven't looked at it yet, don't know if I got all that. Got a picture of her front license plate in the road, maybe that's enough evidence. Anyway I'm using my own insurance. It's way faster if I let AAA take care of it. Learned my lesson last time, waited about two months before I got the check. Opened a claim today.

Thanks Mark, I'm definitely going to need a driver side door,  probably a left rear fender. Front fender probably just needs some high-build primer and paint. I think the window is OK but can only see the top 3 inches of it. Might be able to get the door locally, there's a shop in Gardena that hooked me up with new / used body parts when I got rear-ended a few years back, so I'll check with them first.

• Like 1

Well good luck with the administration of the details. And I hope she doesn't try to deny responsibility for her actions.

Out of curiosity, when the cop said he couldn't figure out who hit who... did you suggest that it would be impossible for you to drive your car sideways into the front of hers such that your driver's side door took that kind of isolated damage?

• Haha 1

The AAA adjuster came over today. She's looking for a door too. Very professional. Looks like the other driver is accepting responsibility, so no deductible. Mark, thanks, will keep you in the loop.

Why did I post this in the  electrical forum. Duh.

Back to the original concern, seems to be fine. Got on it a little today, nice. Going with more and more idle was stupid. Have to shift into neutral when stopped is OK, people with a stick shift do it and don't complain, so I can do the same. If that's what I have to do to run a big cam no problem. Maybe too much idle keeps the butterflies open when they shouldn't be. Dunno, but at least I'm not standing on the brake pedal whenever I can't go fast.

The modified (for richer mid-range and top end) N-27's seem to be perfect. Idle's not too rich, and mid-range's just right. Total luck (what do I know about polishing needles, I've done two sets) , but I'll take it.

Here's a shot from a couple months ago, oh crap it's 5.7 MB probably way too big sorry.DSCF0339.JPG