IGNORED

Custom Interior

'71 zcar

I'm going to do fiberglass panels where all the vinyl was. I don't like all the draped vinyl everywhere, I prefer a more fitted look. I'm starting with the rockers then the tunnel. Here's shots of the quick rocker mold I made and the panels. These will be fitted into place then I will model up each end to finish off properly. The front will turn in and have a aluminum foot board across, i.e. Singer Porsche. The whole front cockpit area will be fitted glass wrapped in leather. The center console will also be changed. It will stop at the shifter surround and a panel will be made to close out the bottom of the dash down to the tunnel piece. The fuse will be relocated behind the floorboard on the firewall.

Here are the first pieces fit.

20180203_200234.jpg

20180205_184810.jpg

20180205_195011.jpg

20180205_195108.jpg

• Like 1

I've built concept cars for the auto industry my whole life, just this one won't have unlimited money and resources to build.

I'll probably get the dash replacement from Hung Vu to start. If I do a dash mod, I want to build it in pieces. I would like to do piece for the top, the sides, and knee bolsters. Then make the area around the gauges and center stack separate. That way you can wrap the dash in leather with no stitch lines everywhere, just where you want them to accent the details. I would do the gauge and center area in painted frp. I have a spare dash I will slowly mod on the side to see how it goes. As I go along if anyone would like some parts for their own car that would be fine. Just remember, every car is different on the inside and my car is by no means perfect, so fitting properly is all up to the customer.

It will be interesting to see what you come up with for the center console, the only thing I don't like about the original interior is there is nowhere for a decent coffee cup holder.  When I drive the Z I'm usually on the highway so coffee is important, maybe I could hook up an IV from the headliner.  Looking forward to this.

Cup holder will be a little tricky, as the only place to go down into the tunnel is where the choke assembly is. Otherwise it would be sticking up kinda high to hold a cup from falling over. Have to look into getting a choke lever assembly from a later car, I have the big 2 lever one for the throttle and choke. The E-Brake assembly is right behind that recess under the tunnel. I was thinking a phone holder slot would be good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got all the kill mat in so far. 36sq' is almost enough for the front, I'll get another 36' and that should finish out the car. Now it's time to start fitting the sides back in and modeling up the ends, then attack the tunnel. the wood is for a guide to drag the section in with. I will put a piece on the floor to guide it down there also. I think I might do aluminum floor boards about and an 1" up and dimple die the front half and carpet the rear half.

20180307_221145.jpg

20180307_221157.jpg

If the molds come out OK I will consider selling pieces. It will be a commitment, because it will have to be the whole front, console, and foot boards. Floor boards can be all carpet, but will have to be custom made also. Fuse box is getting relocated to the firewall behind foot board. I'm going to wrap everything in leather, but you could paint them body color also.

• Like 1