IGNORED

leak at pinion gear fixed

rcb280z

Finally had the time to jack her up and replace the leaking seals. New top hat (inside cable end), seal, and o-ring. Used the top portion of the screwdriver to seat the seal in the pinion housing, pic 1. Simple job. 

Now for the not so good news. Discovered I have a 19 tooth gear (pic 3) still in this tranny. I could have sworn I took the 17 tooth out of my 4 speed to put in the 5 speed transplant about 20 years ago, hmm.... Oh well, its only 5 mph diff on the speedo. Never equated that diff to be the reason for the incorrect speedo reading because I've always thought the pinion gear was correct. Not sure if I want to be bothered with getting and installing a correct one right now. Something tells me I will though. :rolleyes:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

9 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Hopefully that will solve the leaking.

Does the pinion you have make it read 5 mph fast? If so I would leave it. Nice cushion to have.

It should have sealed it. Took it for a spin and it's been sitting now for over an hr and still dry.

Nope, it's the opposite. 5 mph slower than I'm going. But still ok. Think I've gotten used to it.  

• 1 month later...

Zcardepot has the o-ring and seal. The "top hat" seal for the cable I already had. Was a good used one. If you take the old one to Lowes you'll find one that works in the hardware section with all the bins. Just look for that style gasket there.