IGNORED

Blowing fuse

joe newsom

I am noticing that when the combination switches turn signal/ headlight touch the column there is some weird things happening. The relay under driver side is making noise and when I bolt the two together on the column keeps blowing fuse. I taped the column to so not short around the brass plates where the idolaters should be. Still popping fuse. Feels and looks like there should be some type of shim or spacer between the two halves

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

That sounds like you have a short circuit in one of the switches on the combination assembly.  The whole thing is designed to bolt to the metal of the column, lots of metal to ground contact.

You can bend the metal tabs back that hold the little pieces of fiber board and open the switches.  You might find something shorted inside.  You can also bolt the assembly on the column with the wires disconnected then see which switch causes the short by plugging them in before taking one apart.  Check the wires too and make sure they haven't worn through or been pinched.

image.png

How about this technique?

Bolt the switches to the column and unplug them. Take a meter and check for continuity from each wire back to the column. If one "rings out" then figure out where it is shorting.

Does that seem like that works????

I will try both of these problem solve ideas. I did do a continuity test on the heavy ground wire going to the cluster of combination switches. It is a separate lead that goes to a relay switch under the dash on passenger side. Does that relay have to make a ground to the chassis?

IMG_4808.JPGIMG_4809.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile