IGNORED

Emission parts from from air galley

jalexquijano

Are those the tubes that poke into the exhaust ports through the exhaust manifold into the head? If so, have you removed the air pump? If these are what I think they are and you (or PO) removed the air pump, you need to block the holes. Otherwise you'll have outside air going directly into the exhaust ports in the head. I would think this would be a major exhaust leak that would also be prone to backfires.

Edited by w3wilkes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Maras said:

I'd dump them. IMO, the only reason to keep the tubes is originality, if that's a consideration.

I guees if the emission system was removed, everything related must be dumped. If there is no advantage on the car performance either at idle during traffic or while speeding above 3000 rpm there is no point on staying with that system

There were many different ways of dealing with them. Most were left intact and plugged. On my 260 a PO had cut the tubes shorter, and left them in place and plugged. On yet another, the tubes had been pinched closed and plugged. Other's were just removed. Were the plugs in the manifold difficult to remove? Most of the time they're a PITA. 

Addressing the other problems. A vacuum leak will make an engine run lean normally causing a higher idle unless the mixture is already too lean. Looking at your plugs at 2.75 turns a v. leak could be a possibility. Could also be the floats are too low. But it seems to me that there are two (or more) separate problems going on here. One is the plugs loading up at idle. The second is the engine running lean at everything but idle. Just trying to clarify what's going on. 

5 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

The car needs to be tested at heavy stop and go traffic. The floats were set at the correct level. No overflowing

No over-flowing doesn't mean the float level is correct. No over flowing just means that the needle and seat aren't stuck open or fuel pressure isn't too high. The floats could be too low which could cause the white (not tan) plugs 2.75 turns down at normal driving. I still want to know if the fuel level is 1/16" or so below the top of the nozzle when it's 2 1/2 turns down. This tip for checking the float level at the nozzle isn't mine. It came from Bruce Palmer at ZTherapy.

• Like 1

That innovate will be fine. You will need to get an exhaust bung welded into your exhaust system. If you have a 6-2-1 system, you may want two bungs one welded into each of the the two pipes. That will allow you to check the front carb and the back carb separately. I believe the innovates come with at least one exhaust bung...