L24 Seized - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Featured Replies

Hello again gentleman,  so I bought a 72 with a seized engine.   I've read it's fairly common from car siting for 10+ years.   I've read about the mystery oil and ATF, coke and even read about towing the car and popping the clutch to free up engine.  I just received the car last Friday and What I'm trying first is mystery oil soak.  It's been 4 days and nothing.   I'm thinking about pouring some HOT ATF and trying that.   Has anyone had success on freeing up a seized engine?    Also,  I need ideas for trying to turn the crank pulley instead of just the bolt, I'm worried it will break.  Maybe even taking starter out and try turning the flywheel with a pry bar.   What do you guys think?  Greatly appreciate your time guys 

 A strap wrench on the vibration dampener might work but if you've soaked the cylinders for a few days it's time to use the car's mass and inertia.  I doubt you'll have to tow it. With the spark plugs removed just push it forward in 1st or 2nd and pop the clutch. If you need to push it backward be sure the trans is in reverse.

  • Author

OK   I guess I have to fix the clutch system now.  I think the master is bad or needs to be bled.  Thanks Mark  

Make sure the slave cylinder is working. Get someone to work the clutch pedal while you look, it's mounted on the passenger's side of the transmission. The rod should push the fork out.

  • Author

Will do.  Thanks 

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.