IGNORED

FS5W71B 280zx transmisson rebuild

Dave WM

Aren't you going to count them?  I think I have the right one.

Here's a little bit better picture showing what I think must be the splines used to lock the synchro cone on to the gear.  I've noticed the pattern before but never really thought it through.  Metal can stretch so maybe a good beating can actually break those two pieces apart.  The back of the input shaft shows a really clear line.  And a bonus picture of my neighbor, since he was out.  Edit - some good micrometer or caliper measurements might pick up a wobble. 

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

So the gear is the right one, but, as you might recall, this transmission was severely abused.  I got it for cheap and used the front case for a 71C conversion.  Here are a few pictures of the worn bearing surface and the blunted dog teeth.  USPS will be cheap, I'll just send it under out under our last transaction, but it might not be usable for you.

I did come up with another way to look at the wobble though.  A feeler gauge in the gap between dog teeth and gear.  I found that mine would take a .015" gauge all the way around but got tight for about 6-7 teeth on one side.

Let me know if you still want it.  The synchro surface looked worn too.

image.png

image.png

Edited by Zed Head
worn for wrong

will let you know after I test run it with out the gear installed, if noise still there, then gear is not the problem. If it is the problem I will see if I can press mine and fix the gap issue 1st.

I realize the probability is this is NOT the  problem , but its down to a process of elimination, this being the easiest gear to get at and some observable defect makes it a good starting point.

The only other thing I can think of if its not a gear would be a defect in a fork/slider interface, but I did not see anything like that. If the noise persist with the gear off, I will try removing the fork next on that slider.

Edited by Dave WM

new interesting development. that gap as VERY easy to adj with the press, I just applied some light pressure from the press and it squeezed the gap to very consistent. I will re install and use a dial gauge to confirm how square it sits.