IGNORED

Choke cable help

siteunseen

I put an Art Singer choke mount in and adjusted the cable ends at the carbs with the console out of the car. I installed the console a few months ago and the choke lever hit the console before "full choke". I took it back out thinking I needed to move the mount further up but it appears to be dead on per the instructions.

Would it be okay to loosen the cable ends on the carbs and pull them out a little more? I'm thinking I can pull them out until right before they start to actuate the linkage on each carb then tighten the screw on the little barrels that hold the cables.

Is it that simple or am over thinking this? That console is very fragile and expensive so I want to do this once and done.

Thanks for any advice.

Cliff

I've always adjusted the chokes so the cables have a slight arc in them when the choke is off. The arc in the wires, where they connect to the carb. linkages, ensured that the nozzles were all the way up. I never thought to check to see if the nozzles were all the way down when the choke lever was pulled. Didn't have any trouble starting the engine, even in freezing weather. Watch your nozzle position when the choke is on and off. They'll tell you what to do.

That makes sense, thank you Mark. I put the console back in today after rerouting the choke light switch wires below the handle. I just today realized the cables were rubbing the wires. Moved them around and put a good black tape wrap around them. I'm gonna get to the cables in the morning. Damn heat came back down here after a beautiful week. 50s at night, 70s in the day, wonderful.  It'll be back in a few weeks I hope.

I put an Art Singer choke mount in and adjusted the cable ends at the carbs with the console out of the car. I installed the console a few months ago and the choke lever hit the console before "full choke". I took it back out thinking I needed to move the mount further up but it appears to be dead on per the instructions.
Would it be okay to loosen the cable ends on the carbs and pull them out a little more? I'm thinking I can pull them out until right before they start to actuate the linkage on each carb then tighten the screw on the little barrels that hold the cables.
Is it that simple or am over thinking this? That console is very fragile and expensive so I want to do this once and done.
Thanks for any advice.
Cliff

That the way to do it. However you shouldn't need full choke to start it when cold.

Your right, without the console and no stopping point all the way back it hits on the first couple of bumps. Starts rich smoking in a minute or less. But oil pressure is strong and after a minute I can smell like a race car driver. :D 

The reason I have to use choke is I only drive it once a month. After the nozzles are full it's good for a day or two though. The weather is about to brake and I can drive it some more.