IGNORED

Home Built Z 'Full video build'

Home Built by Jeff

When I need to tighten a door gap, I simply add a weld bead to the edge of the door or if more is needed, weld a welding rod to edge of door.   Then, grind it back to the proper gap.   If I need to open a gap, I simply grind back the door edge then weld up the split seam.   Drawback is that removing the skin later will be very difficult.

i reccomend installimg the rear bumper without the over riders.   A nice touch would be to weld up the bumper joints (make them butt joints first) and holes and remove the rubber rub strips.  Then have it all chromed as a single piece.  Nice and clean.

i have the same issue with my hood and will need to replace before repaint.   Mine is pushed far enough down that it hits the grill when opening the hood...I had to bend the top grill bar just slightly.  I found this out when I replaced the grill with a nice straight unit.

Great work and fun to watch.  Btw, your welds look good to me...I can’t do any better.

Edited by David F

7 hours ago, David F said:

When I need to tighten a door gap, I simply add a weld bead to the edge of the door or if more is needed, weld a welding rod to edge of door.   Then, grind it back to the proper gap.   If I need to open a gap, I simply grind back the door edge then weld up the split seam.   Drawback is that removing the skin later will be very difficult.

i reccomend imstallimg the rear bumper without the over riders.   A nice touch would be to weld up the bumper joints (make them butt joints first) and holes and remove the rubber rub strips.  Then have it all chromed as a single piece.  Nice and clean.

i have the same issue with my hood and will need to replace before repaint.   Mine is pushed far enough down that it hits the grill when opening the hood...I had to bend the top grill bar just slightly.  I found this out when I replaced the grill with a nice straight unit.

That is a good tip with the door gap, although want to get the most out of adjustment first of course.

I am now actually planning on welding the bumper to one piece, and we were lucky enough to not have over riders in Aus. I won't be chroming it though, as that is not something I can do myself ;) 

I can't even fit a grill at all at the moment with the bonnet the way it is, but I will cut it and see what I can do.

5 hours ago, wheee! said:

Nice work Jeff! Did you support the lower rad support while jacking the nacelles up? I would be concerned you may have changed the geometry of the lower rad support.

I probably should have, but the lower support panel is many times stronger than those front wings, so I wasn't overly concerned.