IGNORED

Heater Fan has power/not working while in car

Jeff Berk

• 2 years later...

Jeff, or others willing to help a lost sole.

Just wondering was it the fuse blow that caused your dash lights to go out? After your replaced the relay and the fuse did your dash lights then work?

I have a 73 240 and my accessory relay sometimes does not work, and I have not been able to get my dash lights to work at all. I am doing a complete restoration and all

other lights, controls are working. I measure 11.7 volts at the rheostat.  Should I just go ahead and replace the relay? What info. did the parts store need to find a replacement?

Thanks Craig  

Crshowes

It's been a long time since I had that issue so I don't recall the details.

The only problem with a new relay is that the plug will not match. It's just a "standard" relay.

I don't think the relay replacement corrected the dash lights but I cannot recall the fix. Just wondering, did you install LED dash lights like I eventually did? You can't use a standard rheostat to control them.

I was doing some electrical work on my '74 today and realized that the way I resolved my dash light was to install a second fuse panel and ran the dash lights off of it. I kind of recall that I had fuse blowing issues so I split up the components leading to the circuit using the second fuse panel with four separate circuits.  I figured that the component causing the fuse to blow would be narrowed down but no fuse in the second panel popped. So I just kept the troublesome circuit split into multiple separate circuits. 

So, I guess I never figured out the reason why my lights were not working but found a workaround. 

Thanks for getting back. My dash lights was not a problem. It was the DA who could not see that the lights were on. With bright shop lights and not starting the Z, I was not able see that they were on. I just added a fuse and eliminated the relay for the blower motor and all electrical systems are now a go. 

Windshield gets installed tomorrow.