280z wiring problems - Page 2 - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

280z wiring problems

Featured Replies

do you have the starter motor hooked up? the fuse link gets it power from a shared positive on the starter.

confirm you are comparing the chassis (negative) to all the fuse link connections under the plastic housing under the hood. NONE show 12v? is there TWO fuse link boxes or just one, I know my early 75 only has one box.

you should post of a pic of what you are doing.

  • Author

1503347066950.jpeg1503347083921.jpeg

Ok so I moved the body ground just now and I'm still not getting 12v but as it shows, I'm only at .2 on both of those. The other two had no volts rather1503347272476.jpeg1503347313164.jpeg

I don't see the shared positive connection on the starter. why is there a loose red wire done there?

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

disconnect the battery positive.

switch to continuity, check to see if that red wire that is loose has continuity to any of those fuse link connections.

I also don't see the neg connection to the bolt on the starter for the main ground.

you should have a large neg battery cable terminated at the starter mount bolt.

you should have a large Pos battery cable terminated at the starter solenoid. that same junction should have a medium sized (guessing here maybe 5 to 6 gauge) wire that go back in to the wire harness (and ends up a one of the fuse link boxes).

of course you should have a spade connector that plugs into the solenoid to activate the starter (I can see that).

The large black "rockford" cable looks like the ground. It loops under the starter but can't tell if it's connected to the lower starter bolt...

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.