IGNORED

ZX alternator upgrade

northernz

Hey All, jst a question about  wiring in the zx alternator upgrade. Have installed the alternator and adaptor from Dave, the car is charging but the Amp gauge fluctuates wildly when car is running. Does this look like the correct wiring for the alternator. Car is a 12/70 240Z.

Going out to change the oil, thanks in advance for any input!

Mark

Datsun alternator.jpg

Did this alternator come with an internal or external voltage regulator? The conversion is for the purpose of eliminating the external regulator. So if you haven't disconnected the external regulator it may cause an erratic response inside the car on the guage.

Well..... i got my son to tighten the bolt on the alternator while i pried on it to hold it in position. That seems to have done it! the gauge is behaving normally now, apparently a slipping belt will cause the gauge to fluctuate? Seems to idle better too! Going for a test drive!

• Like 1

Spoke to soon, test drive revealed the gauge behaving normally for a while, then fluctuating wildly again.I'm thinking that if the belt has been slipping for a while, it is worn and now slipping all the time. Does anyone  agree that a  slipping belt will cause fluctuations in the Amp gauge? Time for the MSA alt. adj arm and a new belt I think.

Did you have any issues with the ammeter before you made the swap? I'm leaning towards a loose ground somewhere but if you didn't touch anything else all you can do is back track or shoot ZsOndabrain a quick inquiry. You should be able to sort it. Check in the trouble shooting section of the Haynes Manual also to see what would cause an erratic guage. It will probably point you right the issue.