IGNORED

My new 1976 280z project

19 hours ago, Zed Head said:

That is a cleaner, neater approach.  Just don't let it run if it does start spinning.

The car has been sitting for ten years though (2007, first post).  So a person could argue that if he just wants to hear the engine run that he should probably plumb up a suction line to a clean can of gasoline and bypass the fuel tank completely.  The odds of 2007 gasoline being run-worthy are super-slim.

I don't see any mention of new gas or new parts.  Getting even more basic, if one of us was looking at this car the first thing we'd probably do is pop the gas cap and smell the filler hole.   "Eeeewww,..that's not going to work" is my guess.

Mine had been sitting for 20 years. The gas gauge read empty and the car wouldn't start, so I oiled the cylinders, added a gallon of gas and turned it over.....

Still no start and no noise from the pump. Gave the pump a couple gentle whacks and then it ran! .... and on top of that, it ran smooth....!

With THIS in the full tank! The gauge was corroded stuck in the empty position!

fuel.jpg

Wheee shared an excellent method to clean the sending unit. Remove it from the tank and soak it in straight CLR for 24 - 48 hours. I had one that was totally crudded up and wouldn't move. That one needed 48 hours. It came out clean and in good working condition.

1 hour ago, wheee! said:

Mine had been sitting for 20 years. 

fuel.jpg

I guess you never know.  I had a wood chipper that wouldn't start with one year old fuel.  EuroDat got a 1/2 tank full of water in a car he was actively driving.  Roll the dice!!!