IGNORED

Leaking Heater

TomoHawk

I found some dripping from behind the fan motor after I noticed the water temperature gauge was  indicating very hot.  It could be the water valve or the small hose  that's back there.   

Which is more common to fail, the valve or the hose?

BTW-  I used a flush chemical earlier this Spring. but the effluent was clear, so I don'yt think it loosened any rust.

Edited by TomoHawk

Depends on how old your hoses are.  Both valve and hoses are a PITA with the hoses being the cheapest.  But if you replace one you're going to do them all when you're down under.   I recently re-fitted the heater hoses on the engine bay side and later wound up with antifreeze on the passenger floor board.  I thought that the valve had given up as I had replaced all the hoses within the last 2 years.  Turned out that I just needed to replace the interior valve hose clamps.  Lucky day for me.  

Hopefully that's the case for me.  Fortunately, I  have water for coolant in the summer, and there 's a small leak in the floor;  I think it's the rubber floor plg, which is not a big deal.  I'll look into that before reinstalling the carpet to figure out what would be proper for that spot (or drain.)

The repair guy  says I need a new heater control valve.  Is there a replacement?  How about a source for a good unit that doesn't take a week for delivery?  As soon as you say "1978" tey tell you it's NLA...

Edited by TomoHawk

The guy just told me the "heater control valve" needs to be replaced.  Jeff at ZCarSource tells me there are two valve there for heat and A/C control, so I need to get the paret from the tech to see what I need, but it's not the hose.  I will get new hoses too.

He says the heater core  is about done too...  :(

We are bypassing the heater for now so I can store the car at home, but it will all be repaired.

Edited by TomoHawk

19 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Oscar used to have quite a bit on his web site aout the various types of valves and options, but it's being "upgraded", apparently, and is useless for the time being, except for the phone number and address.

http://www.zspecialties.com/

i talked to oliver yesterday. he is rater busy moving parts out of his storage units, and upgrading his website. give him a call and leave a message if he doesnt answer. he will call back