IGNORED

Fuel spilling out if tank and about 9 miles to the gallon

vannahrose15

The factory cap is not a vent.  It lets air in, not out.  That's another reason that zKars' suggestion is probably on target.  Your new cap is the wrong solution to your other problem.  Besides air coming out around the filler entrance, air also escapes through the vent hose up to the charcoal canister in the engine bay.  Sounds like your venting system is screwed up.

Did this problem ever happen before the gas cap?  The reason I ask is that according to the specs it says it in not compatible with the 77 Z.  It may not be letting any air in.  It may just be adding to the problem.

However it does not explain why it takes so long to add fuel.  LIke ZH mentioned, make sure the flap indicated with the red arrow opens with the push of something like a screwdriver.  It should not take very much effort.  If it doesn't  push open that would be your filling problem.

So I found when I took my panels off near the filling point in the hatch that the hoses for the venting were twisted. The tubes that are twisted both run to this black air container looking thing, and then one looks like it goes down into the tank area and the other looks like it is the hose for the vent that sits under the fuel cap off to the side. I am going to try and tackle these this weekend to fix my problem is there any advice or tips I should follow, I'm more worried about the line going into the tank, will I have to drop the tank to disconnect and replace the hose? Any advice is appreciated and I hope this makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Pictures would really help.  I don't know how those hoses could get twisted unless they have been out before and really screwed up by a previous owner.  How did that flap look in the fuel neck?

Pictures would really help.  I don't know how those hoses could get twisted unless they have been out before and really screwed up by a previous owner.  How did that flap look in the fuel neck?

I actually didn't take the fuel neck off, I had one of my shop buddies to an evap test and nothing was blocking that or any of the lines all the way up to the carbon canister. I will post some pictures when I have some daylight

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile