IGNORED

When and Where did You get yours?

esmit208

15 hours ago, psdenno said:

November 1971.... St. Paul, Minnesota.

I had just returned from living in the Philippines for a year and a half and needed a car.  I had taken a new Pontiac Gran Prix SJ to the Philippines and sold it there before I left.  On a stop in Tokyo on the way back to the States, I saw a Fairlady on display in a window on the Ginza.  A lasting memory.  While I had considered getting a Volvo 1800 or a Lotus when I returned, the 240Z was just too unique and exciting to pass up. 

Unfortunately, at that time, there was a nine month waiting list for 240Zs at every Datsun dealership.  However, I found a dealership that allowed me to buy my way to the top of the waiting list and drive off in a new 1971 Datsun 240Z for just 15% over sticker price.

Now, 46 years later, that Z is parked in my driveway and if it wasn't 110º outside, I'd take it for a spin. 

Dennis

71Z STICKER.jpg

3.7K for a brand new car...........Unheard of these days. Today 3.7K buys you a bucket of................!

1 hour ago, esmit208 said:

3.7K for a brand new car...........Unheard of these days. Today 3.7K buys you a bucket of................!

For perspective, keep in mind that 46 years ago $3.7K was about six months' pay at my reasonably good job.  Today, I could buy a nicely optioned 2017 370Z for a little less than six months pay.  So, it's all relative.

BTW, if you're paying that much for a bucket of......... in 2017, I can get it for you a little cheaper :D

Dennis

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psdenno said:

For perspective, keep in mind that 46 years ago $3.7K was about six months' pay at my reasonably good job.  Today, I could buy a nicely optioned 2017 370Z for a little less than six months pay.  So, it's all relative.

BTW, if you're paying that much for a bucket of......... in 2017, I can get it for you a little cheaper :D

Dennis

I think I will use my 3.7K towards a 3.1 Stroker but like you said it's all relativeB)

52 minutes ago, esmit208 said:

I think I will use my 3.7K towards a 3.1 Stroker but like you said it's all relativeB)

Yup, that's probably a better use of your dollars.  The total cost of my Z was actually $4,200 as I had to pay above sticker to move to the top of the waiting list and not wait nine months for a car.  The good old days.

Dennis

Alright...alright...alright...  I've  been watching this post for a while now, and have decided to jump on the bandwagon. In January of 1971 (having grown up in Miami and still there), I told my Dad that I wanted to get a Z.  I said that to him as he worked at the main Mercedes Benz dealership, and they had a second one specifically selling Datsuns.  My waiting list was 1 month when I got the call from Dad saying "how does red sound to you"?  He didn't know it was not a true red,  but Mexican Orange.  I was in heaven it was "red".  I went to get it that afternoon, and it was dark by the time I left.  I paid $3200. for her, at $100 a month.   Any of you old hippies remember a song called DOA?  It was describing a horrible accident where the guy and girl were dying and listening to the cop saying that.  Ugh.  That played for me on the radio as I drove home, not comforting.   I had never driven a car that had any power, and was scared of her.  I did not want to drive home in the dark, but oh well.  She was my Redwing, "my little red car that flew me where ever I wanted to go".  Redwings was 1 letter too long on the tag tho, so Redwing she became.  I learned quickly how to Drive that Lil Sweetie.  This was when I was 28 years old, and hubby had split.  So I really let loose, being free for the first time in my life.   All that and a Z too!  Woweeee.  I drove her for 259,000 miles.  The joy of my life.  

Moving forward to my 2nd Z.  (Dear Redwing was sitting because I didn't have the $ to fix her.  That pained me badly, we had such good memories together.  Life intervenes badly at times, I truly wanted to do a restore, but $ was scarce.)  Would you believe that I saw my RedBird on eBay?  I had just received an inheritance, fixed things around here, built a carport, and bought my "new" 1976 280Z.   I'm  in N. Ga., and she was in Miami.  My friends I have known for half my life knew someone in Miami to go check her out.  She passed, the deal was closed, and she came up to Jacksonville where they live.  They had their mechanic go all over her.  Wendell restores '57 Chevys, what he had when we were in high school together.  Finally RedBird made it here to me in March 2015.  I won't  list the several problems she came with that I tried to have fixed.  The locals were totally inept about Z cars.  So I joined CZCC to find out what really needed done.  Later on,  there were several super members that came and worked to fix her.  Some brought parts, all brought years worth of knowledge.  Thank God and  the great guys of CZCC, I now have a 100% car.  Until that is, some 40 year old part decides to quit.  We all have cars that are a work in progress in that way.  Needless to say, this now "mature" lady is reliving all those Glorious Hippy years spent with Redwing.  Smiling all the way down the road.   :wub:  Below I have photos of my 1971 Redwing, and 1976 RedBird.  BTW, Redwing is now in the hands of Tim who is doing a full restore on her.  That really makes me feel good!

Hope I have not bored y'all, I love to talk about my car (s).

Jai

20170218_133909_1487445025782_1487429713670.jpg

Attachment_1484643727565.jpg

Edited by Redwing
errors
  • Like 1

On 5/23/2017 at 6:14 PM, esmit208 said:

Very nice story, but you left out the most intriguing part of the story.......You never told us if you "Found paradise by the dashboard light" all those years ago? Weeeeeeeeee!

For the last 26+ years my friend. For the last 26+ years. Although now my father in law isn't talking to me.....wait, nope I'm still good. 

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 9:59 PM, Redwing said:

Alright...alright...alright...  I've  been watching this post for a while now, and have decided to jump on the bandwagon. In January of 1971 (having grown up in Miami and still there), I told my Dad that I wanted to get a Z.  I said that to him as he worked at the main Mercedes Benz dealership, and they had a second one specifically selling Datsuns.  My waiting list was 1 month when I got the call from Dad saying "how does red sound to you"?  He didn't know it was not a true red,  but Mexican Orange.  I was in heaven it was "red".  I went to get it that afternoon, and it was dark by the time I left.  I paid $3200. for her, at $100 a month.   Any of you old hippies remember a song called DOA?  It was describing a horrible accident where the guy and girl were dying and listening to the cop saying that.  Ugh.  That played for me on the radio as I drove home, not comforting.   I had never driven a car that had any power, and was scared of her.  I did not want to drive home in the dark, but oh well.  She was my Redwing, "my little red car that flew me where ever I wanted to go".  Redwings was 1 letter too long on the tag tho, so Redwing she became.  I learned quickly how to Drive that Lil Sweetie.  This was when I was 28 years old, and hubby had split.  So I really let loose, being free for the first time in my life.   All that and a Z too!  Woweeee.  I drove her for 259,000 miles.  The joy of my life.  

Moving forward to my 2nd Z.  (Dear Redwing was sitting because I didn't have the $ to fix her.  That pained me badly, we had such good memories together.  Life intervenes badly at times, I truly wanted to do a restore, but $ was scarce.)  Would you believe that I saw my RedBird on eBay?  I had just received an inheritance, fixed things around here, built a carport, and bought my "new" 1976 280Z.   I'm  in N. Ga., and she was in Miami.  My friends I have known for half my life knew someone in Miami to go check her out.  She passed, the deal was closed, and she came up to Jacksonville where they live.  They had their mechanic go all over her.  Wendell restores '57 Chevys, what he had when we were in high school together.  Finally RedBird made it here to me in March 2015.  I won't  list the several problems she came with that I tried to have fixed.  The locals were totally inept about Z cars.  So I joined CZCC to find out what really needed done.  Later on,  there were several super members that came and worked to fix her.  Some brought parts, all brought years worth of knowledge.  Thank God and  the great guys of CZCC, I now have a 100% car.  Until that is, some 40 year old part decides to quit.  We all have cars that are a work in progress in that way.  Needless to say, this now "mature" lady is reliving all those Glorious Hippy years spent with Redwing.  Smiling all the way down the road.   :wub:  Below I have photos of my 1971 Redwing, and 1976 RedBird.  BTW, Redwing is now in the hands of Tim who is doing a full restore on her.  That really makes me feel good!

Hope I have not bored y'all, I love to talk about my car (s).

Jai

20170218_133909_1487445025782_1487429713670.jpg

Attachment_1484643727565.jpg

Thanx for sharing. Probably the best thing you did............ KEEPING THE CAR & LETTING THE EX GO!. YOU GO GIRL!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I was just a young pup, working my first real job, I shared on office with an older guy named Carl.  Carl was a chain smoker and loved the bottle.  He was a decent enough worker, but the best thing about Carl was that he drove a 1972 240Z.  You couldn’t miss it because it was painted the infamous factory #112 (Yellow).  Let’s face it, that color is not yellow, it is chartreuse or some other blend of yellow and green.  What it really was though, was memorable. At least for me. I wanted a 240Z.

A few years later when my Datsun 510 Wagon blew its head gasket, I nosed around for a 240Z, but didn’t find much.  I didn’t work really hard at it, because my friends all said to avoid the dual carbs, and go with fuel injection.  I didn’t know too much about carbs at the time, so I went with that advice and found a ’76 280Z. 

Bad choice.  Within a month, all six fuel injectors clogged and had to be replaced, gas tank and lines flushed, etc.  Goodbye $1000.  Later, I found broken glass in the spare tire wheel well. Hmmm.  Oh well, I loved the car anyway and proceeded to drive the snot out of that baby for 5 years.  

I got tired of the lack of air conditioning in the 280, and when the MAF failed, I faced a $1200 decision.  The car already had over 100K miles, and I was moving to Phoenix so A/C is a must.

I bought a new Honda, and let the idea of the 240Z go, but not completely.

Ten years and three cars later, I revisited the idea of finding a 240 again. It didn’t have to be my daily driver and I was better versed in auto repair, so the carbs didn’t scare me as much. I did eventually find one, in the same way everyone found them pre-Internet: 

IMG_0055.jpg

After negotiating the price down, not because of condition, but because I really wanted a stick shift, and to have to replace the tranny and buy a clutch was going to cost so very much, blah, blah, blah…. $2700 was agreed on. 

I did convert it over to a 5 speed and installed a 4.11 rear-end, but about that time, my wife and I started to raise our family, remodeling the house and (many) other distractions, and the 240 never really got to the top of the pile. Ashamedly, I used the Z more as a table than a driving car.  Drove it off and on over 20 years, mostly letting the work I did to get it running go to waste as it sat again for a few years.  

With an 18 year old about to go off to college, and managing to get the 240 to the top of the list (at times), I’ve really been able to focus on getting him running strong, carbs perfectly tuned.  Loving the daily drives to the grocery store, or winding roads to the high country.  Still a lot of work to do, but very drivable and still looks very good to this day, with the 20 year old Arizona white paint still deep and glossy.  I’ve put more miles on him in the last six months than I have in the previous 20 years!

The ironic part of this car story?  Under the white paint is the original color, for all to see in the engine bay - yep, you guessed it - #112 Yellow - just like Carl’s from 36 years ago!  

DSC_0238.jpeg

Edited by Rob1972

• 4 weeks later...