Which transmission do I have?? - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Which transmission do I have??

Featured Replies

I recently got a transmission for pretty cheap. I have a 1978 280z with a 5 speed but I've been getting pieces of bearing with my fluid changes. This guy said it's a 5 speed but doesn't remember if it's out of a late 280z or a zx, any help!?

IMG_20170429_204935.jpg

IMG_20170429_204943.jpg

IMG_20170429_204951.jpg

IMG_20170429_204957.jpg

IMG_20170429_205003.jpg

Looks like a 77-79 5 speed.  Two exhaust hangers, and no access plate on top like the 4 speeds have.  The 79 ZX had the same 5 speed as the Z's.

Should slot right in to where your old one was, no diff changes necessary.

Definitely not from a ZX. Looks like a 79 early 80 5 speed. Speedo cable bolt is at 12:00. You may want to pull the speedo gear to make sure it matches your diff.

 

 

Don's iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

 

Gear ratios are the same, regardless.  That's all that really matters, within the possibilities.

Edit - Just realized that I responded quickly, without a full think-through.  79 and 80 are ZX's.  Anyway, unless it's some weird truck transmission, it should be a direct replacement.

Edited by Zed Head

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.