IGNORED

Possible fuel problem. 1976 280z 2+2

SeKcGamer

As a starting point, start going on Youtube to find videos on how to use a multimeter if you don't already know how. Download the FSM on a computer, not on your phone. You may want to print out the BE section. It has some excellent breakdowns of the circuits. from there, you get to dig in and see what the hell the IPO (idiot previous owner) did. We can coach you through a lot.  Also download the wiring diagram for your year Z from AtlanticZ. Philip did a great job cataloging the different diagrams.
Be patient. If we tell you to do things a certain way, it's for safety, efficiency, effectiveness, or some combination of those. With patience you will gain knowledge, and you can enjoy your car for a long time.

Thanks man, I'm currently taking auto-body, auto tech, and welding in high school and I know my auto-body teacher wants me to bring in my car so I can work on it because he loves it. And I'll ask my auto teacher if I can bring it in, because we did a chapter of using the multimeter and testing ohms,resistance,volts and amperage. I'll ask him for some help too. Now the I drive it to school and back.

Sent from my iPad using Classic Zcar Club mobile
  • Like 1

So today I drove my car to school and the radio fuse buss kept going out (10A). I had 4 extra (10A) fuses and they all burnt up. I went home to get a 20A and that smoked up[emoji23]. So I don't know what to do there. It says it needs a 10A but it keeps blowing or the little metal piece burns in half

Sent from my SM-J320V using Classic Zcar Club mobile

If it calls for a 10 amp,   DO NOT put 20 amp in it's place!.    You could easily fry your wiring harness doing that.   You must have a short somewhere. Trace the line and for the radio and find the problem. Don't play the radio until you figure it out.

I saw the picture of the fine mess your PO left you.   Take your time and try to get it all straight.  This is also a good challenge for you and your instructor.  

30 minutes ago, SeKcGamer said:

So today I drove my car to school and the radio fuse buss kept going out (10A). I had 4 extra (10A) fuses and they all burnt up. I went home to get a 20A and that smoked upemoji23.png. So I don't know what to do there. It says it needs a 10A but it keeps blowing or the little metal piece burns in half

Basic electricity: Fuses don't really protect loads. Fuses protect wires. Go back in this thread and look at what we were telling you about fusible links. 

Some more details: The amount of current that can flow through a wire is determined by the size of the wire and type of insulation among other factors. The fuses are supposed to be sized to prevent going over the rating for the wire size/insulation type. 

The problem is that you have a dead short in that circuit. The fuses are protecting the wiring harness. Don't bypass the protection. With some of the wire hacking in that harness, don't be surprised if you need to pull the dash to examine the wiring harness.

If it calls for a 10 amp,   DO NOT put 20 amp in it's place!.    You could easily fry your wiring harness doing that.   You must have a short somewhere. Trace the line and for the radio and find the problem. Don't play the radio until you figure it out.

I saw the picture of the fine mess your PO left you.   Take your time and try to get it all straight.  This is also a good challenge for you and your instructor.  

The radio isn't installed. It's just the wire hanging.