IGNORED

Fuel Injection Issues

Yaboyolin

Injector cooling fan? I've never seen that on an EFI and it doesn't pull up through any searches. That specific connector gets power at two of the blue wires and connects to 2 other blue wires whenever the key is switched to "on". The green wire grounds to the middle blue wire. If I jump it it doesn't accomplish anything. Fusible links are in good shape. The fuel pump is on a switch. All relays except for the injector relay that is specific to the '78 came off a running '77. The ECU is off a running '77 280z. Pin 10 still has no power. There is power to the relays. The only other thing that comes up is under the dash on the passenger side, there is a light blue wire with no power that isn't connected to anything. There is a white/red wire that has power but isn't connected to anything. There is a green wire under the center console that has power but isn't connected to anything. There are three wires, a light blue, blue/red, and blue/white wire that were pulled up next to the fuel pump switch next to the hazard switch. The light blue one has power. No idea what the others go to. I wired them together and there is still no power at 10. What am I missing!? I mean, the injectors have power but they aren't spraying. Do I need to take them all off and clean them? From the experience I have, not all the injectors are going to fail at once. 

Your question: What is this thing and is it important?

That is the EFI Main relay on the 78 model, (after Aug-77). Yes it is very important.

It looks intact, but the contacts could need cleaning. If its not working properly that will be a source for the EFI not working for sure.

The EFI fuel pump relay is rectangular in shape. See photo (Photo is not mine, but from another thread here under "1978 Z - Fuel pump control relay")

280Z Relays Enginebay.png

Alright, another update. I now have power to pin 10 and still nothing. There are two wires hanging below the dash that seem to be coming from the ignition relay but arent connected to anything. The ignition relay has two white/red wires, they are both connected to the hanging white red wire and it has power. Then there is a blue/red wire on the relay that is connected to the hanging blue wire. This wire never has power. These wires are just hanging, not connected to anything and there are no wires anywhere around that seem they might connect and no they don't connect to each other. Remember, there is no fuel pump relay as it is hardwired. Ive gone through the FSM to no avail. Everything seems to have the power it needs, it just won't start

On 3/17/2017 at 0:13 PM, Yaboyolin said:

Alright, another update. Pin 1 has power, I swapped ECUs with a running 1977 Datsun and it still isn't firing. I've read through the manual and according to all my tests it's the ECU. So why isn't it firing? 

Which manual? Did you run the tests in the book from the link I provided?

You're just reporting random things, like "Pin 10 has no power, Pin 1 has power".  Report the results of specific tests and the test itself.  Confirm that you have fuel pressure in the rail.  Just because the pump makes noise doesn't mean that you have fuel pressure.  Don't connect wires together unless you know what they are supposed to do.

Try this simple test of the coil-Pin 1-ECU circuit and its operation.  Connect a wire to the negative terminal of the coil.   Let it hang in air.  Turn on the key.  Tap the wire end to ground.  Every third tap should make the injectors click.  You should get a spark for each tap also.

Yes I read that entire EFI book you linked. Pin 1 had power. It was also connected to the coil correctly. I went through the rest of the steps the book said to do. Then Pin 10 had no power, as the book as the book said it should. I went through the wiring and all the relays until Pin 10 had power. This still didn't solve the issue. I recleand all connections and grounds. Nothing. I took out the EFI relay that was in the engine bay and hard wired it. This didn't solve the issue. I cleaned and redid all connections again. I rehardwired that relay and it started up. I'm guessing that relay was just bad and the connector was really dirty. I did follow that book. If you read the par of the book that helps with the no starting issue you'll see that I followed it step for step