IGNORED

selling a 240Z for estate - please help

foreignaffairs

8 hours ago, foreignaffairs said:

The auction ended at 26,100. Anyone on here interested at 26k?

You might contact Richard, I know he was interested, but at what price I don't know. This was exactly what I thought this car would bring. You never know, if two bidders get going on an auction, one can be surprised.  

• 2 weeks later...

Since it has been re-listed I will add my thoughts and suggestions.  1. You need to add the all of the pictures from under the car to the auction.  We know someone can always ask for them but being more upfront from the beginning drives buyer confidence and lowers your inbox count.  2. Lower your starting bid to something like $5,000 and let the bidders bid.  Add a reserve back if you like but the market spoke once at $26,100 but that was without the chassis pictures.  You should have dropped your reserve to meet it because that is a very strong number and after people see the chassis pics, you won't see it again. 3. I think the value of the car as it is shown and taking in to account the pictures of underneath is around $12K - $18K.  I know that is far from the other numbers you hoped for and someone overseas or in the rust belt might pay more but as it has already been said, this is a '73, not the more desirable '70-'72.  4. The suspension has not received any attention in a long time and therefore does not command a $20K+ price.  The repair work underneath was not done to a high standard.  People will value this in different ways.  Some will care less that the floors are flat and the rails are not closer to stock, they will just be happy that someone else replaced them. It will be a deal breaker for others.  5. The color is less than desirable.  If it was a more popular color it would bring a few to several thousand more as long it was done to the same quality.  

Finally, I do not mean to knock the car in any way because it is very nice in it's own right.  From what I understand Mike was very proud of it and rightfully so, it is very pretty.  At the end of the day it comes down to who wants the most and what they are willing to pay.  In the end, I hope you get a number that you, the family, and the buyer are happy with.  

• Like 3

A friend of mine here in Richmond purchased this car. I believe he got a great deal and he is happy with the purchase. He had made an offer from the start, prior to it ever being listed on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Datsun-Z-Series-/182486843636?nma=true&si=79ZTciTaRkYi%2FESZqv984O6hf2U%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557