IGNORED

Right Turn Signal not working

bhermes

1 hour ago, bhermes said:

I removed the clam shell around the steering column to get a better look at the turn signal switch.  I played a little with the turn signal lever and I did get both signals to work properly a few times.  It then stopped working again.  It appears that my problem is in the switch and maybe intermittent contact in the right turn signal position.  I did look through the turn signal repair post but I am concerned that the work is a little much for me to do successfully.  I am wondering if I could just try and spray something into the switch area?  I may attempt the repair and maybe it is not as hard as it looks. 

I will update when resolved for future reference.

Thanks.

The "repair" to the TS switch is not technically difficult but it can be a bit exasperating to re-assemble as there is a tiny roller ball inside that a small metal contact plate pivots on.  It does not like to stay in place.  Don't expect a spray to correct fouled contacts.  If you don't want to try this yourself, you can always get a refurbished one from Dave Irwin on an exchange basis.  I don't have his contact info, perhaps another member can help out here.  Check out some pics of a disassembly here: http://woodworkerb.com/home/datsun-240z-rebuild/240z-turn-signal-switch/

Oh sure, Jim, skip over what I've documented. ;)

The roller ball will stay in place nicely with a tiny dab of dielectric grease. I have rebuilt a few switches. There are descriptions of early and lat turn signal switch rebuilds on Fiddling with Z Cars.

• Like 1

That little plastic switch with the roller ball: I doubt if Nissan engineers designed that part for the Z cars only. If not, it might have been used on other models, maybe into the eighties, and new replacement or junkyard parts might still be available that could be cannibalized for that switch only. It's a long shot, but maybe. Wonder if there's a cross-reference that would let you take a Z car part number and see what other vehicles used that part ? Could be on other makes besides Nissan, too.

If it's badly corroded, might be impossible to remove the corrosion without wrecking the little teeter-totter thing. I messed one up.

Edited by Stanley
additional information

11 hours ago, SteveJ said:

Oh sure, Jim, skip over what I've documented. ;)

The roller ball will stay in place nicely with a tiny dab of dielectric grease.

WOW - did anyone catch the license plate number of that speeding troll? LOL

How do you think I was able to keep that pesky silver ball in place during my reassembly? ;)