IGNORED

Right Turn Signal not working

bhermes

I am on the verge of making my 76 280Z a daily driver.  I will be starting a new job only about 3 miles from the house and plan on driving daily.

I have been going over things and at this point the car is starting and driving fine.  Of course the priority was getting the radio, amp and sub installed.

Everything seems to be working except the right turn signal.  All other lights work fine.  No interior flasher or exterior turn signal for the right side.  Left side is fine.

I have read through some posts and it appears according to the post the issue may be the turn signal switch.  Just thought before I get into this I would confirm if there is something else I should consider first.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks.

Two thoughts and remember I am not really good with electrical stuff.

What triggers the internal light flasher on the dash?  If this does not work does that mean it must be in the switch or could it still be wiring?  I will look at the wiring diagram but is there one housing for both turn signals coming off of the switch or a separate connection for right and left?

Does the fact that the hazard lights work tell me anything?

I will start looking into and cleaning the switch.

Again thanks.

The light on the gauge is wired in parallel with your blinkers. 

If the light in the gauge is on steady, it means the turn signal is not flashing, and you should check the flasher relay for the turn signals. If the light in the gauge does not come on, it could mean there is an issue with the circuit going to the gauge, an issue with the bulb, or that the overall circuit is not getting power (usually an open circuit).

If your hazard lights flash properly at the corners and dash, it tends to mean there is an issue with the hazard switch, turn signal flasher relay, turn signal specific wiring, or the turn signal switch (if neither turn signal works) or an issue with the turn signal switch or wiring for that side (if one side works but the other doesn't).

I have similar problem. Rt. turn signal intermittent. Half the time the indicator light is steady and the rt. turn signal doesn't work, otherwise the indicator flashes and the TS works.

Where is the TS flasher relay ?

Edited by Stanley
add comment

So SteveJ is I can fully understand your post, and thanks for the detail, if everything is working except the right turn signal light blinking on dash and right turn signal outside then it is either the turn signal switch or wiring for that specific side.  

If the hazards are working properly then does that minimize the wiring possibilities.  I am trying to walk through the wiring diagram to isolate the possible issues if not the switch.

Thanks.

I know in a previous thread that I believe you started, I posted the diagram out of the FSM. Find that post, look at it, and ask questions. Or just find the turn signal diagram in the BE section of the FSM, study it, and ask questions. 

4 hours ago, Stanley said:

I have similar problem. Rt. turn signal intermittent. Half the time the indicator light is steady and the rt. turn signal doesn't work, otherwise the indicator flashes and the TS works.

Where is the TS flasher relay ?

There are two flasher relays. In the 240Z, I believe one is tucked up under the passenger side while the other is under the driver side. I can't remember which is for the hazard lights and which is for the turn signals.

30 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

There are two flasher relays. In the 240Z, I believe one is tucked up under the passenger side while the other is under the driver side. I can't remember which is for the hazard lights and which is for the turn signals.

On a 240Z, the TS flasher can is mounted to the steering column above the pedals - the OE can has a metal tab and a small metal screw holds it in place.  The hazards flasher can is mounted to the passenger side kick panel. 

I removed the clam shell around the steering column to get a better look at the turn signal switch.  I played a little with the turn signal lever and I did get both signals to work properly a few times.  It then stopped working again.  It appears that my problem is in the switch and maybe intermittent contact in the right turn signal position.  I did look through the turn signal repair post but I am concerned that the work is a little much for me to do successfully.  I am wondering if I could just try and spray something into the switch area?  I may attempt the repair and maybe it is not as hard as it looks. 

I will update when resolved for future reference.

Thanks.