IGNORED

D Wheel Covers - Cost of Restoration?

Hardway

I'm wondering if you can spin them on a potter's wheel type contraption and sand the non-painted areas smooth then go for another re-chorme once smooth?

The painted areas can be sanded and filled like regular body work so it is only the non-painted areas that need the extra attention.

I have not decided if I am going to leave them all chrome or paint them.  With my current hatch vent duct project and rear suspension work, they are not a priority right now.  I like 240260280's idea on paint prep.  The pitting is very shallow so it would not take much filler to fill it in.  In fact, a few coats of filler primer and sanding would probably do the trick.  I am just glad they are no longer rusting away.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

I finally had some time to take some photos of my 'D' caps and center medallions after rechrome. The new chrome turned out great! The back sides will need some rust prevention, so I'm open to any suggestions. I have received advice to spray the back sides with Rustoleum. Obviously, I don't want to apply anything that could potentially affect the new chrome on the front sides. The D center medallions also turned out great. There are two broken posts on the set of medallions, but that's a minor issue. I tried one of the rechromed medallions and a NOS medallion on a cap and the all chrome look is certainly unique.

Robert S.

IMAG1233.jpg
IMAG1235.jpg
IMAG1236.jpg
IMAG1237.jpg
IMAG1238.jpg
IMAG1239.jpg

Those are goregous EhlersRS!  The shop did a great job on the covers and the D medallions.  I am digging the black cap and all chrome covers, especially since yours look so minty now!  Seems almost a shame to paint the covers as it will hide 70% of the chrome.  I still have not done anything with mine.  I did get the 4th wheel I needed so now I have a full set of wheels to go with the covers.