IGNORED

Front Suspension - Removal of Complete Assembly

mentalite

Hi.

My bushings are shot and need replaced.  While at it, I figure I might as well do some cleaning and painting of the components as well.  Somewhere, some time, I came across an article with tips on removing the front cross member and suspension as a unit while leaving the engine in place.  I didn't bookmark it and can't find it now.  I found a post by Chas on replacing engine mounts which is close, but this article I saw before was pretty in-depth.  

This ring a bell with anyone?  A link would be very much appreciated.

If you support the engine (not directly on the pan), the front suspension easily comes out as a unit and goes back in easy-peasy.  These pics were taken with my engine and transmission already out but the principle is the same.  Some long blocks under the edges of the pan would work, or an engine hoist to lift it just a bit would likely be the best approach.

01.jpg

09.jpg

I don't have any links for you to how-to's, but I've seen several pictures of engines/tranny assemblies still sitting on motor mounts on the cross member with the whole thing still sitting on tires. In other words, it's completely possible, and looks easy. I'm not sure if that's the recommended way to do it, but if I was taking the whole thing apart, that's what I would do.