IGNORED

EGR delete 1980 ZX N/A

I'll save you any further headaches, and state that after driving it around it seems the exhaust noise seems to go away a bit. I think that I jumped the gun on posting that giant word block. It seem that after a few more heat cycles I should re torque the bolts and see where I'm at. The Victor reinz gasket might be a bit thicker than the del pro I've used before. Sorry for the hassle. And thanks for the reply.

Sent from my N9130 using Classic Zcar Club mobile

On 1/22/2017 at 11:00 AM, siteunseen said:

On my '77 there is an EGR tunnel on the bottom of the intake.  When I wanted to delete the EGR and all the accompanying components most every mechanic I asked about it told me the intake needs the heat from the EGR going through that tunnel to perform as designed.  Of course I did it anyway and have never had a problem BUT I live in the Deep South, it's 65 degrees outside right now.  One friend who raced his 280 told me the intake would "frost over" after the delete so he put small light bulbs over his when he raced farther up North to heat it up.  You'll need to delete the BPT valve and the warming plate with the thermal vacuum switch behind the thermostat housing.  Then plug the vacuum line under the TPS.  Yellow circles in these two pictures.

egr line.jpg

SDC10703.JPG

I found the cheapest way to acquire a block off plate was go to a local parts store and buy the EGR to intake gasket.  Get a peice of 1/4" aluminium and transfer the gaskets dimensions to the aluminium and cut and drill, smooth the edges with a bench grinder.  Then you have the gasket and a block off plate. :)

new 280 intake.jpg

this is actually very helpful... i recently purchased a 78 with EGR deleted and have been wondering what changes were made compared to the stock setup.  I had my head wrapped around it pretty well but this confirms it.  my engine is similarly configured as the second picture, just a lot uglier LOL (looks awesome, btw!)

• Like 1

In reading the giant paragraph, you do not mention plugging or welding closed the bung on the lower part of the exhaust manifold by the machine shop..

Since you have removed the egr system, if this was not done, it would account for you excessive exhaust noise.