IGNORED

smog needs to come off

Znut73

wondering what all i can take off dont realy know where all the smog stuf is i have an E88 head and it looks like there is alot of smog on it does anyone know what can be pulled off and where it all would be located thanks for the help

I haven't taken the smog off my car yet, it still works so I don't mess with it! But from your user name sounds like you have a '73 240Z??? If so your car would have more smog stuff than mine. What has been done to the car at this point? Why do you want to remove the smog equipement (to make it look better, to increase power, you have a problem you are trying to fix)?? I think you will get more specific responses if you provide a little more info.

If you still have the stock carbs many people change to early SU's and the early intake balance tube, but you probably already know that. If not, this will get you started in eliminating much of the later 240Z smog mess.

I am sure smog equipement removal has been has been discussed in the last year. You may want to search for "smog" in some of the forums- engine, open discussions, etc. Or check the photo galleries for some earlier cars.

I hope it is helpful.

yes the removel of smog would be fo performance i have the weber carbs they were already on the car when i bought it i was recently at the speed shop and was told that the removel of the smog on the motor would be a great help in performance it is a 73 head (E88) if that helps was i told wrong at the speed shop would leaving the smog on be the best? let me know (and i think it does look a little cleaner with out all that stuff on there)

If you do remove your smog equipment do not throw it away, because there is an assembly bill (AB 708) that is in commitee that would require pre 74 model year motor vehicles driven more that 12,000 per year to be smog checked. I wrote the bill's author and this is what I got back.

Thank you for contacting my office and sharing your thoughts on SB708. In January of this year, I was appointed Chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Air Quality in the Central Valley. To date, the committee has conducted four hearings and nine more are scheduled to be held this year.After all the hearings, a report to the legislature will be submitted detailing the committee's findings from the hearings.

Why have I undertaken this initiative to clean up our air? Air pollutants in the San Joaquin Valley have gone up 17 percent in the last three years alone. According to the Los Angeles Times, air pollution is to blame for more deaths in the San Joaquin Valley in the last three years than car accidents and murders combined. The San Joaquin Valley has surpassed Los Angeles as the worst air basin in the state and the second worst in the country. The asthma rate for children in Fresno County is the highest in California - twice that of Los Angeles and triple the national average. Without swift and decisive intervention, this problem promises to escalate into a public health crisis, if it isn't already.

In response to this, I have introduced ten bills targeted at cleaning the air in the San Joaquin Valley. SB708 is one of those bills. Unfortunately, what much of the public does not understand is that SB708 is a work in progress, and amendments have been written since the original version was first circulated. Our bill has two important objectives. First and foremost, I want to get the worst gross polluters off the road, to mitigate ozone emissions into the air. Second, I am working hard to preserve and protect the rights of car owners who keep well-maintained older vehicles, many of them classic cars, as enacted in SB 42.

SB708, with our most recent amendments, will require vehicles over 30 years old which are driven 12,000 or more miles a year to get a smog check. Cars which are not used as a primary vehicle, driven on a dailty basis, should not fall under this definition. The collector car industry representativeswe have worked with so far agree that this is a fair compromise which protects collectors and hobbyists, while cutting down on auto emissions.

My staff and I have worked diligently on this issue. We have conducted more than 30 hours of meetings on the subject, returned hundreds of phone calls and collaborated with prominent people within the classic car industry - even Jay Leno himself. Steve Davis, one of the leaders of the initiative that became SB42, has worked closely with our office to craft SB708 in a way that protects the classic car hobbyist and targets only gross polluters. We are confident that the amended SB708 will prevent gross polluters fromtaking advantage of SB42 and undermining the purpose of the 30-year rollingexemption.

I thank you for your input and your willingness to participate in our effotrs to clean the San Joaquin Valley air basin.

I wonder if this would also mean we will have to be sending in pictures of our speedometers with odometer readings each year. I don't drive my Z much and my speedo works but I know several people with classic cars in which the odometer doesn't work. No they haven't tampered with them to show lower miles, some old European cars do not have very reliable units and are expensive to have fixed. I don't drive anywhere near 12K miles in a year but I know lots of folks that have daily driver, pre-'74 Z cars. However, as a Californian that have seen the smog getting worse and worse I think going after cars that drive more miles is a good approach.

you wont need to send pictures they will look at the odometer when you have the emissions checked every year. Computers will take care of tracking the mileage. Talk of big brother . I heard recently that the issue had been dropped after Jay Lenno contacted thows in the know . but be aware the polititisions use this tack . they ask and threat the moon knowing that when the screaming stopped they will settle for a 1/2 or less of the origional ammount. and every one is happy because the origional ammount was tossed out. That how we have lost so many of our rights !

Hey Beandip,

Actually, I was referring to what OwenK quoted about the future posibility that cars more than 30 years old may only need to be smog tested if driven more than a given number of miles. For example, if this number is more than 5K miles a year my Z car would never see a smog station. So in that situation the government would want some verification that my car does not need to be smogged. I know some collector insurance companies requires a picture of the car speedo be sent to them each year to verify miles. I suspect that the DMV may require the same for verification.

I don't live in CA, so take my opinon for what it is worth... but I seriously doubt that any environmentalist would accept a bill that allowed people to opt out of an emission test by mailing in an easily faked photograph of SOME odometer reading.

More likely I suspect you will be up against one of the following:

Best case, you have to drive the car to the testing site every year where an "impartial" governmental agent certifies that:

1. Your odometer is in good working order.

2. The mileage recorded in the past 12 months is less than the (ever shorter...) distance permitted.

Worst cast, the 12K mileage exception is an "affirmative defense" meaning that you still have to get the car tested, and pay for the test, but if it fails you can play the mileage exception like a get out of jail free card. (After the impartial govermental agent certifies items 1 and 2 from the best case above...

Good luck.

:-)

• 2 years later...

My insurance company only requires that I sign an affidavit certifying that the car is driven <5000mi/yr. No picture, no inspection. Requiring that we go and pay for an annual smog check would be ridiculous and unreasonably burdensome. I believe that car collectors and vintage car clubs would unite to opose this sort of heresy and defeat it swiftly.