IGNORED

GM Alternator Woes

HuD 91gt

I am attempting to upgrade my '71 externally regulated alternator to a CS144 alternator.

Ive used the MSA converter plug which rearranges the appropriate wires, and includes the diode required.

I connected the 12v constant wire (yellow on T plug) to the S "sense" wire on the 4 prong alternator output. I connected the other wire from the T plug "switched" to the F "field" plug.

I start the car and I am not getting any charge. It's sitting at ~12.5volts.

All the documentation out there talks about 280z, these have I believe a discharge lamp.  This is considered an excited correct? Does a 240z require some sort of resistor in it's place to "jump start" the alternator?

FYI, I've decided to upgrade as I am installing megasquirt, and I figure and upgrade would be required.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. I wasn't able to use any writeup actually as I have an alternator from a heated windshield car which has 4 prongs as apposed to 3 in all the writeups. The 4 wire alternator has the 4 that zed head posted.

If I connect the switch the F for the L, will I require a resistor? I was reading so many sources, I confused myself. Surprised that diagram never showed up in my searches as I was looking for exactly that.

Thanks Zed. I didn't actually think the 240z had a light, that's why I'm wondering about the resistor. Maybe it does and I'm just out to lunch? That first link you sent made me worried is it says without a resistor can damage the alternator.

Looks like L comes through the ammeter shunt.  Probably some resistance there.  Where's the electrical guys?  I'll step away.........

Edit - I think the above is wrong.  The 260Z diagram is hard to trace, all black and white.

Edited by Zed Head

No, thanks zed head. Really appreciate your input. The '71 manual is the one which is missing in the library so I'm weary of believing the newer model diagram. All I know is I don't have a light (it's in the console correct).  Hopefully someone can answer this as it's really tempting to just swap prongs, and start it up.