IGNORED

New Power Steering Option

djwarner

You could just weld in place but what if you ever have to take it apart ?  I chose to break it near the firewall and will use 4 grade 8 bolts at 90* to each on the on the sleeve holding the two shafts together. The chances of two grade 8 bolts sheering at the same time and loosing control of the car are pretty slim.

And now that I have typed that out and realize how rinkydink that is I'm now going to remove that sleeve and weld on some proper splined shaft and a splined receiver with a locking bolt.

I was rushing a bit when I did this last summer, thanks for making me take a second look at this.

DSCN0621.JPG

I was able to find this
http://www.jegs.com/i/Borgeson/153/013462/10002/-1
which is for a 5/8 diameter rod.
However the stock Datsun steering shaft should be around .59 inches while 5/8 inches is .63.
Would that be close enough to work? Or should I look into making my own coupler?

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 1

.59" OD smooth rod into .63" ID coupler would be just fine as long as you are going to weld it, that set screw on the Borgensen unit is just to hold it in place before welding. Not sure if you need another U joint added though, you would have to make that call. I'll have to have a look in my pile of steering shaft stuff to see what I can adapt to work or head off to the wreckers. I'll post some pics of the finished item.

• Like 1