IGNORED

1971 240Z - 46K Orig Miles - Crashed

BMARKCO

I would agree the car is probably in the mid teens maybe a little more. One place to look is Ebay in completed auctions. Look for cars that are in similar condition to support your valuation. I agree with Pop's her insurance is going to low ball you. A lawyer might be necessary

The car is fixable if someone is properly motivated. I fixed a 330Ci for my wife's daily driver a while back where both rear quarters were buckled. Put it on the rack and they both pulled out. You would need a good frame man, a quarter and a tail light panel...As it sits the car is worth what someone will pay for it. I have seen Z's selling at the salvage auctions for $1,500 - $3,500 for really nice cars with lighter hits...

I really hate that for you. There are a lot of variables at play here ... What year? Numbers-matching? 1-owner? 2-owner? What's original and what's not? Any prior body work? Original paint or respray? Everything there? Documentation? I'd insist on meeting the appraiser at the car with the answers to these questions and I'd say things like "You know it's going to be impossible for me to find another 46 year old car just exactly like this one ... orange ... I only like the orange ones ... and in this good of shape ... especially with just 46,000 original miles!", "My daughter was born in this car.", whatever ... just don't use the word rust or even admit the car has any.

If I assume the whole car is as nice as the exterior "before" picture you posted and it was a 71-72 without the rust, I would be looking for them to pay me $20K for the car plus $2K expenses for me to find one ... probably in California ... and get it shipped home plus $2K "pain and suffering" because the car is 'my baby'  ... so, $24K ... I'd round up to $25K. I wouldn't tell them all that, I'd just say I can't replace it for anything less than $25K. It's so easy to find comparable cars on the interwebs at that price or higher.

I'd also be happy with $23K and the car, but I would not keep the car. Instead I would part it out or sell it whole to my Z friends and pocket the cash the scrap man would have made. You might not wan't to fool with it. At $25K I think most insurance companies want to settle and be done with you. You're insurance can also work on your behalf, but that would be my absolute last resort ... they will co-conspire to give you the driveshaft.

It's a flippin 240Z man ... they owe you!

• Like 1